9. Sleepless

Sleep evaded him that night.

It was difficult for him in the beginning, but with her in the same home as of his, it became a torture now.

All day long, he didn't try avoiding her as much as she did these days, which tore him apart for equally conflicting reasons. He was as much relieved about having her away so that he would mind his damned business, and give the over thinking a rest, but the distance between them however small, made him go crazy.

He drank more coffees than ever, and became more temperamental than one could handle.

He made it impossible to work for his colleagues, he knew and drove them to the edge. Geet, however made it a point to avoid him as much as possible, adding fuel to his fire.

He worked a lot during day, which was a distraction. Nights like these, were unbearable.

There were times when he woke up to fetch himself a bottle of water, and walked through the corridor to have a glimpse of Geet through her window, where she would be writing something, face in her palm, her left hand scribbling away, in the yellow light of her table lamp.

There were many nights where he had stayed like that, like today, in the shadows of the night and just watched her write, whatever that is she's writing these days.

In the soft light, her face looked much younger and vulnerable and all he could think of what had happened to her. He had his Munshiji call him every day, filling him in with the progress of the detective he hired to know the whereabouts of the bastard that cheated on Geet.

The moment he returned, he was in half a mind of going to her and shaking her to life, asking her why hadn't she come to him, why hadn't she told him about it all, but then, he wondered, did he give her a reason at all?

Right at the moment, she looks up from her diary, to him, as if it were only natural. Her eyes registers slight surprise, but it dissipates, as if she were expecting him at some level.

It was then, she stretches her hand and switches off the light, slowly ending the moment. He knew quite well that she wouldn't sleep easily after that.

And, just like that he feels a bit better.

He isn't the only one after all.