Chapter 15: Burglary

"Who knows, perhaps it was inevitable. Societal strife was destined to reach a boiling point. Maybe short-term pain is better than long-term suffering." Han Xiao shrugged.

The Battle of Andrea set the post-unification landscape of the planet in stone.

Andrea was the name of a continent, once home to several nations. As the war developed, Andrea had, for some reason, became the proxy of the conflict. It was as though all the countries had agreed to settle things there once and for all, as though they were trying to contain the scale of damage inflicted onto the planet. However, billions of lives were lost as a result.

By the time the war ended, all that remained of Andrea was a desolate land of scorched earth and withered trees. Its rivers were left blighted, and the once fertile, lush landscape was no more. The Six Nations simply packed up and left as soon as the battle ended, ignoring the destruction that they had caused.

Han Xiao noticed an old blister on Hu Xuan Jun's palm.

"You used to be a soldier?" he asked.

"Yes, for over ten years."

"I thought that remnants like yourself would choose to join the Germinal Organization."

Hu Xuan Jun shook his head.

"My home country was peacefully annexed by Stardragon. Soldiers like me didn't have any say. We simply follow the decision that our leaders made. I do detest the Six Nations, but the Germinal Organization is no better. They popped out of nowhere to take advantage of our hatred for the Six Nations. Sigh... I'm a simple man. All I want is to escape war."

"War is cruel. My eyes were blinded by a flash grenade. My husband and I fled tirelessly before settling here. Even though life as a wanderer is not easy, it is better than war," An chimed in.

As she finished speaking, the smell of meat filled up the tent, causing Han Xiao's mouth to water.

"How do you cook without being able to see?" he asked.

An puffed her cheeks.

"Don't look down on me! I might be blind, but I can still smell, hear, and feel! It's not like I don't have any limbs."

Hu Xuan Jun smiled.

"She has a strong character. Won't even let me take care of her."

"I don't want to be your baggage," responded An meekly, prompting Hu Xuan Jun to scratch his head in embarrassment. He hurriedly changed the subject.

"Oh right, I'll let you take a look at my baby."

Hu Xuan Jun opened a storage box beside him to retrieve an old-fashioned gun.

"Let's see if you know your guns," he said proudly.

_____________________

Bayonet Musket (Old Era)

Grade: Average

Base Stats:

Damage: 38-40

Fire Rate: 0.9/s

Magazine Capacity: 20