Detention

I sat in my fourth-hour classroom debating on what I should do to get back at Isabel. I would have to wait until Kim wasn't home so I could get my revenge without interruption. I smiled, or maybe I should get my revenge with Kim at home. "Maybe, I should be sure that Kim is home so I can be sure she gets that I'm done messing around." I guess I laughed a little because the teacher glared at me, "What's so funny?" Mr. Heins asked. I smiled awkwardly, "Nothing sir." His expression didn't lighten, "Detention," he said and my smile disappeared. "Not again," I thought and looked to Kim. She just giggled at me like she tends to do when literally anything happens and I go to her for help. I sighed and looked away from her but then felt something touched my arm. 

I looked down and it was a piece of paper; when I opened it it was Kim's handwriting. I started to read and felt fear course through me, "I need to talk to you about my mom," it said. I looked over to her again, being sure to keep a straight face. She was paying full attention to the teacher which made me even more uneasy. I stored the note in my pocket and then looked back to the teacher. I couldn't focus, all I could think about was that she might know that I was having a thing with her mom. Saying it in my head it sounded bad, really bad. "What the hell am I doing?" I asked myself in my head, "If she finds out this could ruin our whole fifteen years of friendship." I thought, paying no attention to the teacher. I hadn't heard him call my name, "EMMA!" He shouted. 

I jumped slightly, "Yes sir?" I asked looking him directly in the eyes. "I asked you to solve this problem," he pointed to the math problem on the board. "Maybe you would've heard that if you weren't daydreaming." He said and my cheeks almost instantly turned red. I stood up and walked to the board, his eyes not leaving me once. I grabbed the marker from his hand and our fingers grazed, I got a disturbing and creepy vibe from the single touch. I chose to ignore it and just stood up at the board staring at the problem. I thought about it for a moment and then solved the problem with minimal effort. I handed him the marker back and took my seat again, after that, he continued his lesson but every now and then gave me a glance.

After class, I packed my stuff and followed everyone out of the class. I found Kim and took a deep breath before walking up to her. "Hey, what did you want to talk about?" I asked and she smiled at me. "I think she has a boyfriend," she said and I smiled, happy that she didn't know about me. "That's great for her," I said and she nodded, "It's the first time since dad and I am really happy for her." I smiled wider, I couldn't tell her it was me yet but I could get her comfortable with the idea of her mom dating a girl. "What if it's not a guy?" I asked in a playful tone. She grinned bigger, "That would be good for her, and I wouldn't be surprised honestly." She said and that made me happier, even though I knew not to get my hopes up too high. 

"We should head over to the lunch room," I said and she nodded linking our arms together, then dragging me to the lunch room. When we got there we sat down at our normal table after getting our lunches from the lunch ladies. We were eating and talking when I got a weird feeling. I looked all around and didn't see anything out of the normal. "Are you okay?" Kim asked and I laughed awkwardly, "Yeah, just a bit nervous I guess." I said and then spotted the thing that had me feeling so awkward, it was Mr. Heins. He was staring at me with an expression I had never seen him give before, his eyes were glued to me. I tried to ignore him and just talk to Kim but then he noticed I saw him and gave me a smirk. A sense of danger flew through my body inch by inch. 

After a while, he left and I could finally breathe without the thought of him looking at me. There wasn't anything specific that made me feel unsafe, it was just a vibe that emitted from him. "Are you even listening?" Kim asked and I nodded to her. "Prove it," she said and I smiled rubbing the back of my neck. She slapped my shoulder and I laughed making her glare at me with frustration. "I was talking about how I and my mom are going to a mountain resort for the upcoming break. We would like you to come along." Kim said and I internally smiled, "This is my chance," I thought and then replied, "Sure, I'll tag along." Kim practically squealed which grabbed everyone's attention. I sighed and grabbed her, pulling her out of the cafeteria. She laughed at my reaction and I did everything I could to try and keep a straight face. I failed and we both ended up laughing until the bell rang moments later. We said our goodbyes then headed off to our afternoon classes. 

Soon enough school was over and Kim was walking me to Mr. Heins room for detention. She left me right outside the door and promised to meet me later after work. I walked into the class and took my normal seat in the classroom. He wasn't in the class so I put in my headphones and started to work on my homework for all of my classes. All of a sudden there was a hand on my shoulder and I jumped slightly. I took out my headphones and turned, it was Mr. Heins. I sighed in relief, I guess I didn't hear him come in. "You scared me," I said and he only chuckled, tightening his grip on my shoulder slightly. It hurt a little but I didn't show it, "What are you doing?" I asked and he only moved behind me and bent down to my height. "Nothing for you to be concerned about, baby girl," he whispered in my ear and I felt my mouth go dry and my heart beat speed up when he said this. I already knew what he was about to do, and I was too scared to move.