Halfway through our dinner there is a sudden scream from inside the woods.

"HELP!!!"

Without looking at Bryan I sprint through the gate in the direction where the scream came from. I hear Bryan cuss behind me but still following me.

He probably thinks it was a stupid idea to help people, but this would be the first living person that we see in a month.

In the middle of an opening in the forest is a small girl curled into herself while quietly sobbing. "It is okay you are safe there is no danger here," I try to reassure her while slowly walking towards her.

"Max I got a bad feeling about this." I hear Bryan say from behind me, but I ignore him and focus on the little girl in front of me.

Suddenly there is a cold blade pressing against my throat. "That's more than far enough pretty boy," A strong female voice whispers in my ear.

"Please we just came to help let us go and we can all pretend this never happened."

I turn my head slightly to look at Bryan, he is being held at gunpoint with a shotgun by a slender woman that has pale milky skin and curly ginger hair. She doesn't look intimidating to me.

"Abby, search them for weapons." The little girl that is sitting on the ground stands up before walking over to me.

Abby, like my captivator called her, seems to have Mexican roots by her slight darker complex. She can't be older than fourteen when I look at her.

Right before the young girl starts to search me, I hear the shotgun go of accompanied with a high scream. I look at Bryan to see that he now has the shotgun and is pointing it at a frightened looking ginger girl.

"Hey, if we all stay calm nobody needs to get hurt. You what is your name?" Bryan asks at the girl who looks like she is about to faint.

"O...o...olivia," She stutters out.

"Okay Olivia, my name is Bryan and that boy over there is my Max so can you tell your companion to lower the knife and step away from him." Bryan calmly tells Olivia, a little too calm, however I know Bryan and in his eyes I can see the fear of something happening to me.

"Lilly, maybe we should ..." Olivia starts but is cut off by my captivator whose name is apparently Lilly.

"Hell no, the moment I release him they will kill us." I slowly take a peek at Lilly, she has the same ginger hair as Olivia but instead of curls hers is straight. Lilly's skin color is a bit darker. It looks like these two are sisters, however that doesn't place Abby in the picture.

Abby seems uninterested by the whole event. She just stands there looking very focused at the surrounding trees.

"Okay let's make a deal. We both release them at the same time. I throw the shotgun far away so it is out of reach for the both of us. What do you say?" Bryan speaks calmly to my captivator.

She seems to think about it for a minute before releasing a frustrated sigh and saying, "Fine."

Bryan throws the shotgun out of everyone's reach. Then I feel Lilly releasing the knife from my throat and setting me free. Me and Olivia switch places making me now stand at Bryan's side and Olivia next to Lilly's

We all just stand there not knowing what to do next. Everybody looks tense and ready to attack.

"We're surrounded." I suddenly hear just above a whisper. I see that it is Abby who spoke for the first time since the whole event.

"What do you mean Abby, are those two with a bigger group?" Before I can tell her, we aren't with other people, Abby speaks again.

"No not humans, zombies and a lot of them."

"We need to run," Olivia says in a panicked voice.

"No time they're all around us. The only option is fighting or dying," Abby says in a stronger voice now.

Lilly nods at Abby and gives Olivia a reassuring smile. After that she turns to face me and Bryan. "We need to work together if we want a chance at surviving."

Bryan looks at me for an answer, I can start to hear the zombies and by the noise of it Abby was right. There are many of them and they are coming from all directions around us.

I quickly nod at Bryan before turning to the group of girls to respond. "We work together to kill them and after that we peacefully part ways." Everybody agrees with that.

We take positions in a circle with our backs to each other, when the zombies start to show through the trees it is the biggest number of them I have ever seen together.

'Shit' I think to myself. I hope these girls can fight because there are only two outcomes now.

Fight or die.

Posted on March 31, 2019.