Chapter 20

Cassie sat cross-legged on her bed, trying to gear herself up to tap out the number on her mum's phone. She had started the call a couple of times but chickened out each time after one ring. It was getting late when she finally pressed down on the green button and managed to hold herself back from hanging up straight away, Karliah answered after six rings.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Cassie." The sub mumbled.

"Hey," Karliah breathed, sounding just a little nervous. Cassie felt a lot nervous. "are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just..." She bit her lip and fiddled with her blankets, "I wanted to apologise for..."she let it hag for a moment.

"Yeah, me too." Karliah took over. "I shouldn't have pushed you so hard."

"I should have told you how I felt." Cassie admitted.

"How do you feel?"

"I have no clue."She sighed. She had been plagued with sleepless nights, thinking about Karliah and Brandon, trying to get her thoughts in order. She had no idea what to think.

"I thought so." Karliah teased lightly.

"What gave it away?" Cassie asked sarcastically. The alpha laughed,

"So," she paused. "we're okay?"

"We're okay." Cassie smiled.

"Good, now are you okay?"

"I... Yeah, I'm okay." The brunette spluttered, although again, she had no clue.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry I disappeared today but please don't ask where I went because you always want to know everything and I really don't want to talk abo-" Karliah interrupted, sounding more than alarmed,

"Woah, wait, you left school?" she demanded.

"Uh, no."

"Don't lie, what time did you leave?" She sounded so urgent, so worried, it scared Cassie a little.

"After break."

"The one that I saw you in?"

"Yeah."

"Something happened, I knew it!" Karliah growled, "I thought you were safe in my radar but you weren't and-"

"It's fine. Please don't push me on this or we're no longer good." Karliah went silent for a long time, Cassie didn't want to make a sound, holding her breath to listen for her answer.

"Fine." Cassie let the air out in a soft sigh of relief.

"Thank you." She whispered.

"See you tomorrow?" The alpha asked, with just a hint of stiffness in her voice.

"Yeah. Bye." Cassie replied, worried that she had ruined their friendship before it had truly started.

"Bye."

~

She caught Sam up on what had happened with Karliah and Brandon as they walked to school the next day but he didn't know what to do either.

"He sounds scary." His expression was pained, he worried so much about her.

"He is scary!" She stressed her words despite knowing she didn't need to for Sam to take her seriously, he was more concerned than she was.

"Maybe... maybe you should tell Karliah..." He fiddled with the straps of his backpack nervously.

"Why?"