Chapter 22

Cassie couldn't breathe. She didn't know how long she had been staring for and she didn't care. It was like she was seeing Karliah in HD, her sharp beautiful features, her sparkling silver eyes, perfect curled lashes, adorable upturned nose, clean and lightly sun-kissed skin, and immaculately braided blonde hair. Cassie couldn't make her mouth work, she wanted to call out to her, she wanted to touch her, wrap her body around her and never let go. She understood. She understood what 'it' was, it was a desperate feeling, a need to be connected, she wanted to throw herself at her so badly but her body was held captive.

"Cassie?" Her name snapped her out of her shock, she blinked for the first time in five minutes. She watched a smile creep onto her mate's face as she started to walk towards her. Cassie let out a breath and laughed quietly, putting her hands to her head. Karliah grinned full-force and threw her arms around her, lifting her up in her arms and squishing her against her chest tightly. Cassie loved the feeling, she didn't ever want her to let go, she snuggled into her neck below the braids hanging either side of her jaw, wrapping her arms around her neck.

"You knew, didn't you?" She whispered. Karliah kissed her neck gently,

"Maybe." she could hear the grin in her voice.

"I feel so stupid." She mumbled.

"Don't, I'm just so happy you finally know, I was so worried about you." Karliah rubbed her back and held her close, it seemed she didn't want to let go either. They held each other for a few more minutes before Karliah turned and carried her to her car, "Let's find somewhere more private." she murmured into Cassie's curls. Cassie nodded and let herself be dropped into the passenger seat of the car.

~

"Hey." Sam called to Charles' back, the vampire grinned over his shoulder.

"Back so soon?" He asked.

"I think Cassie just found her mate, didn't want to intrude on the moment." Sam shrugged, he joined him at the sink and picked up a tea-towel.

"The female alpha?" Charles hip bumped him away from the sink but Sam was determined to take back the chore.

"Yeah, Karliah knew from our first day at the academy..." He rolled his eyes, smiling to himself. "Cassie is a bit slower..."

"Rude." Charles laughed, Sam joined in but much more quietly.

"I can say it, she's my best friend."

"So, how long are you gonna have to wait around?" Charles brushed his hands away, refusing to allow him to help.

"What do you mean?" Sam asked.

"How long before they're done ogling each other?" Charles clarified, "When will you leave for your milkshakes?" he finished drying the last of the plates and carefully placed the final dish on the top of the pile beside him.

"Oh... I don't think that's still on - Karliah's been waiting a long time to get her hands on Cassie... In fact, I hope I don't see them because I don't know what I'll see!" Sam blushed. Charles grinned, folding the towel in his hands and placing it on the counter. Sam placed his own towel over a hook on the wall above the sink.

"That's a shame, you look so cute today." The compliment caught Sam off guard, mostly because of how nonchalant Charles was when he said it. "Why don't you let me take you out?" Sam looked away, embarrassed, and fiddled with his shirt.

"My alpha-"

"Is expecting you to go out." Charles finished.

"But Karliah-"

"Is busy and will be MIA for who knows how long, how will he know you're not with her?" Sam didn't have an answer so he went back to fiddling with the bottom of his top. "If you don't want to hang out with me you can say so, I won't be offended." He sounded sincere and Sam felt guilty, he was a really nice guy...