Chapter 11

It was as Cassie hovered in front of her locker after DSH, her collaring notes still clutched in hand, when Brandon seemed to notice her for the first time. Sam had run off... to help the alpha with something? She wasn't sure but she also wasn't worried, he had become quite a bit more independent in the short two weeks since they had started at their new school.

Her long ringlets bounced between her shoulder blades as she swapped notepads and books in her locker, completely absorbed in her task when a shadow cast itself over her and blocked her view of the inside. A hot breath ran down the back of her neck and she twisted her neck, expecting twin blonde plaits and sharp eyes twinkling down at her... Maybe hoping was a better word. But her eyes were cast upon a young man instead, maybe a year older than her with dark eyes and hair, freckles sprinkled across his nose and sharp cheekbones. He was good-looking... Very much so... But there was something quite frightening about him - Was it an aura? Or his expression? Something sent shivers through her... and not the sexy kind.

"C-Can I help you?" She asked, fiddling with the bottom of her skirt.

"Maybe" He took a quick look over his shoulder, she took the opportunity to take a small sniff in his direction - Beta, she thought, although he didn't have a face she recognised from any pack with territory near her.

"What does that even mean?" She frowned.

"It means..." He leaned in and brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, grazng her cheek ever so gently with his knuckles. He chuckled and suddenly grabbed a handful of her curls in his hand tightly - She gasped and winced.

"OW! W-What are you doing?" She whimpered, her hands gripping his wrist, "You're hurting me!" She whined. She could feel the presence of his wolf overpowering her without even needing to come out, she could feel its dominant strength radiating from him.

"You're hurting me!" He mimicked in a high whiny voice, releasing her hair and shoving her back. "I'll see you later chubs" He winked and strode away. Cassie blinked in confusion and turned back to her locker, twisting to look down both ends of the hallway every few minutes, nervous that she might see his limp dark hair working its way back through the other heads bobbing in the crowd. When she was done she made her way out, her thoughts trailing off and distracting her as she clutched her shiny pink plastic backpack to her chest and rested her chin on the handle.

Before she knew it she was already halfway home when a silver car slowed beside her, the driver's window rolling down.

"Why are you walking?" Cassie's head snapped up and turned to scan the face she has been hoping to see since the freckled boy had left.

"Karliah" Her voice came out as a soft exhale, part relief and part fear. The blonde gave a small smile and tilted her head,

"You seem a bit dazed - Want a ride home?" Cassie stopped walking and considered the offer for a moment before replying,

"Yes, please" She watched Karliah roll to a halt, grinning as she opened the passenger door for her. Cassie plodded up to the car and climbed inside. "Thanks" She murmured.

"So, which pack are you from?" The silver eyed alpha pulled back into the road, relaxing into her seat.

"Scarlett Moon"

"Ah, that's not far - what a shame... I was hoping we could have some fun" She winked cheekily and turned the corner. Cassie blushed and looked away,

"W-What kind of fun?"

"The kind where I get to hear more of your pretty voice" Karliah's voice was deep and smooth and it made Cassie want to clench her legs together. She knew exactly what Karliah wanted but she would never say it, part of her enjoyed being coaxed.