Thirty One

Marisol's POV- October 2018

I looked away from my laptop as I heard a light knock on the door.

"Ready to go home?"

"Yeah" I replied.

Leo chuckled as he set a duffle bag on the floor.

"Uncle Danny awkwardly packed up a set of clothes for you"

I found myself scrunching my nose because that meant one thing, and one thing only.

"He found your thongs, Mari"

Well, it's a good thing I won't see him until tomorrow.

"It's time he accepts that you're not a little girl anymore"

I laughed.

"So does Cody still not know you're in the hospital?"

I smiled and ate a spoonful of jello.

"Do you plan on telling him?"

I said nothing, which led to Leo frowning at me.

"Mari"

"His mom already hates me, I don't need her to despise me for throwing off her son's groove" I stated.

He rolled his eyes.

"I'll tell him when the season is over," I said.

I was going to tell him tonight but I wanted to fuck with Leo right now.

"Pretty sure he's going to want to see you tonight"

Leo was right, Cody had texted me asking if he could come over tonight after he (and his team) got in from Boston.

"And he will," I told him.

"He's going to want to know how your hospital visit went?"

"Leo, you're overthinking this" I stated.

As far as Cody knew, I had been given antibiotics to fight off an infection. If he pushed with more questions then I'd disclose that the infection was pneumonia. Yeah, I got a (partial) iced shower bath (that Matt Kemp gave me) after the Dodgers clinched the NL Pennant but honestly, I was already sick. If anything, I think it helped me cool down since I'm pretty sure I had been running a fever. 

"I hope you're fucking with me"

I winked at him as I finished up my jello.

"Homework?"

My professors were considerate about this whole situation, but I still had classwork to turn in. Since I was missing lectures/seminars I had to submit short summaries on the class readings as well as discussion questions. The world did not pause when you were sick, and I was kind of thankful. I had been bedridden (only being allowed to go to the bathroom) for the past few days, and well this was a great distraction.

"Yup" I answered as I closed my laptop.

"Want me to go get a nurse to start the process of signing you out?"

I nodded.

"Yes, please," I told him.

"I'll close the door so you can change?"

"I can't change," I said gesturing at the IV on my hand.

"Right"

He still closed the door on his way out. I couldn't text Cody at the moment because he thought I was busy with school. He'd suspect something was up if I replied, so I had to ignore his texts.