Sixteen

Marisol's POV- April 2018

I smiled at my dad as I stepped out of the car.

"Please don't be mad at me" I told him.

"I was worried"

Oh, I was not referring to that.

"Cody invited me a Dodger game, and we had dinner with his mom after the game" I explained.

He nodded.

"You don't need to give me an explanation. A simple, hey dad I'll be home late text would have been fine"

"Well, I am in one piece" I assured him.

He smiled when he heard kitten cries inside my car.

"So, what do you bring with you?"

"I know you said no more animals, but they would have likely died," I told him.

He sighed and shook his head.

"How many?"

"Four" I answered.

"Well it's a good thing I have the day off tomorrow"

"I'll call during my break, and see if the no-kill shelters can take them in"  I stated.

"Well let's go inside"

He grabbed the carrier and followed me inside. 

"Do we have any kitten food?"

Once we were inside, dad placed the carrier on the coffee table.

"Let's see these little fellas"

"Fair warning, there might be a dead one in there," I told him.

"Oh no"

Thankfully, none of them were dead. However, they were extremely hungry. It turns out we did have some kitten formula, so dad fed them while I showered.

"So dad, there's something I want to tell you" I started.

He glanced up at me.

"Does it have to do with Cody?"

I nodded.

"Well talk away"

I took a seat across from him.

"Cody's mom doesn't really seem to like me," I told him.

"Why would you say that?"

"Well, she kinda is the reason Cody stood me up last November" I noted.

"Did he now?"

He raised an eyebrow.

"So how exactly did his mom prevent him from showing up?"

"She showed up with another girl and made him go on a date with her instead" I explained.

He scoffed and shook his head as he looke down at the kitten he was feeding.

"Ugh, she's one of those parents"

Yup.

"The ones that try to act cool and are all up their child's life."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Honey, are you sure you want a relationship with Cody?"

Good question.

"Marisol, don't get me wrong. He seems like a nice guy and all, but are you sure? I will not stand and watch my only daughter get fucked with by her boyfriend's family"

I smiled.

"I like proving people wrong" I stated.

He scrunched up his nose.

"You are your mother"

My grandma Ella actually despised my mom when she began a relationship with my dad.

"But I am not Cody. I actually stood up to my mother"

True.

"So how exactly did you and Cody meet?"

"We met during my coffee runs last summer" I answered.

I always used to ask the barista if they had scones, and he would always tell me they had just sold out. One morning though, there was a scone waiting for me. Someone had purchased me a scone. When I asked the barista if the person was there he shook his head and told me he would tell me who had gifted me the scone. A week later, I showed up for coffee and my peach citrus white tea with lemonade and the barista was waiting for me with a scone. He also signaled at the person who had bought me the scone for the past week. I actually did not recognize him, but I did think he was incredibly handsome. Once I got my drink and coffee, I made my way over to thank him. He was not expecting me to do that, and I found it incredibly amusing how flustered he got. I introduced myself to him and thanked him for the scone. It became a tradition, and on occasions, he would personally give them to me. Like I said before, I did not know he played baseball, so it was weird when he would just disappear for a couple of days.

"I didn't know who he was until Lucy made me go to a game with her" I disclosed.

He was the starting first baseman.

"Oh, Marisol"

I shrugged as he chuckled.

"So how exactly did you two start talking?"

"He got me a scone" I replied.

He laughed as he exchanged a kitten for another to feed.

"Is that the way to your heart, through pastries?"

I shrugged.

"Maybe" I answered.

"So who approached who?"

"I approached him to thank him for buying me scones" I responded.

"So he bought you a scone every single day?"

I nodded.

"What a kiss ass"

He smiled.

"What did he say when you told him you knew who he was?"

"He just smiled and told me I made him feel normal" I replied.

"So was his mom a bitch to you tonight?"

"A bit" I admitted.

It's as if she assumed I liked Cody simply because he was a baseball player. 

"She probably thought you were in it for the money, which is hilarious cause you know he's got an entry-level contract"

He smiled.

"Whatever you decided to do, I will back you up"

However?

"However, if I find out his family is being unfair to you I will personally talk to Cody myself"

"Sounds good" I replied.

Well, this went better than expected.

A/N: Will he have to personally talk to Cody?