Nineteen

Cody's POV- April 2018

I honestly don't know what had happened, but Marisol (and Desi) had left before the game even started. Ashli claimed it was because Desi was incredibly rude to them and the workers asked for her to leave. On the other hand, Ally had told me that it was Ashli and my mom who were incredibly rude to Marisol. Desi stepped in and snapped at her before leaving with Marisol. Chris had asked Kike (and Mariana) if he could hitch a ride with them. Desi wasn't telling me where Marisol was, so I had decided to come to her house. Daniel, Marisol's dad was home...fuck.

"Who's that?"

"Marisol's dad" I answered as I opened the small gate.

"He looks really young"

Mom and Ashli followed me inside.

"I've been expecting all of you"

He gestured for us to follow him inside. As soon as he opened the door, he quickly caught Bugs who had tried to run out.

"Come on in"

I stepped inside, and my family followed.

"Would you like something to drink?"

Mom asked for a water, Ashli declined the offer.

"Water is fine," I told him.

He smiled.

"Make yourself comfortable, I'll be right back. Cody, can you come with me?"

I did not like the idea of leaving my sister and mom unattended. They were going to snoop as much as they could.

"Do you know where the cups are?"

"Yes," I answered.

"Mind getting them for me"

I shook my head and as I got the cups, he pulled out the pitcher from the fridge.

"As far as I knew, you were going to spend the afternoon with my daughter?"

He raised an eyebrow as he filled the cups with water.

"That was the plan" I admitted.

"So what exactly happened that caused Desiree to leave before the game even started?"

"Wish I knew, I was hoping I could clear things up by getting Marisol's side of the story" I replied.

He stared at me.

"We're going to go back in there, and I'm going to teach your mom a quick lesson. Just follow my lead, and try not to get offended"

Okay?

"Let's go to the living room"

We made our way to the living room, where mom and Ashli had stopped snooping.

"Here you go"

Mom thanked him as she took the glass.

"I'm Daniel"

They shook hands as mom introduced herself,

"Jennifer"

Daniel smiled.

"And this is my daughter, Ashli"

He nodded and shook her hand.

"It's nice to meet you"

He took a seat across from them, next to me and made a face before sighing.

"Jennifer, you'd do anything to make your son happy, correct?"

Mom nodded.

"Correct"

He pursed his lips as he sat up.

"So would I, which is why this conversation is about to get uncomfortable"

....

"I'm going, to be honest here, I don't think your son is good enough to date my daughter"

He lightly shrugged and looked at me.

"You seem like a nice kid Cody, but I'd like my daughter to be in a relationship with a man who is college educated"

I chose to not go to college and instead went to play minor league baseball.

"You are a big distraction, and I do not want it to get in the way of my daughter's life. She's got school to worry about and a doctorate program isn't exactly a walk in the park"

That's true.

"You are also on the road a lot, and I am sure there are lots of temptations if you catch my drift"

Mom cleared her throat.

"My son would never"

Daniel hummed.

"I sure hope so, but correct me if I'm wrong, was it not it your son who stood my daughter up to go on a date with another girl?"

I technically did.

"Wait, what?"

Looks like Ashli didn't know this.

"Mom made me go on a date with Zooey the night I was supposed to go on a date with Marisol" I explained to her.

She looked at my mom confused.

"I thought Zooey came before her"

I shook my head.

"Nope, I met Marisol last summer," I stated.

Daniel cleared his throat.

"I don't really have an opinion on Cody because I don't know him well enough to judge him"

Oh, I see where he's going.

"My daughter has been through a lot, and I get you're protective over your son but I take care of my baby girl too"

This was directed at my mom.

"The only reason she hasn't bad mouthed you is because I raised my daughter right. Your son is not a child anymore, let him make his own decisions"

He reached for a pen and sticky note pad on the coffee table.

"You all owe an apology to my daughter, and you will find her here"