Eighteen

Marisol's POV- April 2018

I snapped out of the train of thought just as Desi shut off her car. Cody had invited me to a game, and once I agreed he informed me I'd be sitting his with family (sister and mom). Sure Desi was also at the game, but we would not be sitting next to each other.

"If they make you uncomfortable, I'll step in"

I turned to look at her.

"Does anyone know we're related?" I wondered.

"I don't think so"

I wanted to see who genuinely was nice, and who was not.

"Let's keep it that way," I stated.

She looked at me and slowly nodded.

"Okay"

I watched as she reached to take her phone from its dock. A smile appeared on her face which leads me to believe that it was Chris who had texted her.

"Chris wants to see me, so I'm going to head over to the family room"

I nodded and accepted the keys to her car.

"I'm going to hang in here for a bit, and I'll be in there shortly," I told her.

"Okay, I'll see you after" I stated.

"Chris wants to see me, so I'm going to head over to the family room"

I nodded as she handed me the keys to her car.

"I'm going to hang in here for a bit, and I'll be in there shortly," I said.

"Okay, I'll see you after okay?"

I nodded and watched as she exited the car. It took about a while to hype myself up, but I got out of the car and locked it as I made my way towards the double doors. Dodger Stadium was HUGE, there were so many levels to this baseball club.

"Hello, Miss Clarke"

"Hi, Gina" I greeted the kind security who opened the door for me.

I offered her a small smile as I stepped inside. Okay, now I just had to look for the elevator. Thankfully, I found it quick and did not have to wait too long for it. I stepped into the elevator and took a deep breath earning a glance from the worker. He offered me a smile as I exited the elevator. I had been on the floor before, but only once.

"You're looking a little lost there"

"Is it that obvious?" I wondered as I saw Desi's boyfriend, Chris making his way over.

He chuckled and nodded.

"You've been standing in the same spot for about a minute now"

"Maybe I'm just trying to kill time," I told him.

"Are you really? Or do you want me to walk you to the family room"

"Okay, I'm not. I am kinda lost" I admitted.

"This way"

He glanced at me as I followed him.

"Cody's an idiot"

"Why do you say that?" I questioned.

"He's making you sit with his mom and sister"

Well, that was assuring.

"His mom came to terms that you're sticking around, it's his sister who is not so thrilled. She can be nice, but she can also be a downright bitch"

He gestured toward the family room.

"And here we are"

I bit my lip as I looked at the door.

"Don't be nervous"

Too late for that.

"Before you go in there, I would like a proper greeting"

"Of course," I said.

I accepted his bear hug and pressed my nose against his bicep.

"Just be yourself, if they don't like you then fuck them"

He squeezed me.

"Such nice advice," I told him as he let go of me.

"It sucks you're dealing with this because you have actual legit things to be worrying about like Veterinarian school"

I nodded.

"Is it really worth it?"

"I asked Cody that same question" I replied.

He smiled at a pretty blonde and brunette who stepped out of the family room.

"Chris! I heard the great news. About time you asked Desiree to be your girlfriend"

It was cute to see how timid he got when it came to talking about Desi.

"And who might you be?"

Thankfully, Chris introduced me.

"Suzzana, Mariana this is Marisol. She's Cody's friend"

I felt a pit in my stomach as they both faked a smile.

"It's so nice to meet you!"

Chris nodded and looked at me.

"I'll let Cody know you're here"

Suzanna and Mariana watched as Chris held the door open for me. I smiled at him as I stepped into the family room. Desi was seated in between a blonde who was holding a glass of wine, and a pretty brunette who was looking in my direction. Just as I took a deep breath, I heard in the fakest enthusiastic voice,

"Marisol!"

I watched as Jennifer and her daughter made their way over.

"We were starting to think you weren't going to come"

"My dad really wanted me to have brunch with him," I told them.

They were both taller than me, so I had to look up at them.

"I'm Ashli"

I outstretched my hand, and then slowly moved my arm as she chose to ignore my hand.

"So you're the famous Marisol"

Before I could confirm..or deny she continued,

"The reason why Cody broke up with Zooey"

I glanced up to see Desi staring right at us. The brunette and blonde sitting next to her were also hearing in on the conversation. As I looked around, I noticed the room was not empty whatsoever.

"I honestly don't know what my brother sees in you, Zooey was much prettier"

Jennifer cleared her throat.

"What you said is true, but we have to understand that Cody has moved on"

I looked away from them as someone cleared their throat.

"Marisol, you don't need to be treated that way. Come on, we're leaving"

Ashli raised an eyebrow as Desi looked at her.

"Let me reintroduce myself to you, I'm Desiree, Marisol's cousin"

Both their eyes widened.

"Marisol may let herself be talked that way, but I most certainly will not let you do that. If you actually got to know her you'd know how much she values family, and how hard-working she is. Instead, you've judged her and somehow believe that she's interested in your son simply because of his paycheck. Maybe lay off your son's life and actually see how happy she makes him"

Desi looked at me.

"Let's go"