Eleven

Cody's POV- April 2018

The front door opened just as I finished folding a handful of bath towels that had been left in the dryer during our road trip. There was no food in the fridge, and I was actually waiting for Chris to get home so we could go eat something. He had ditched me last night to go see Desiree and had spent the night at her place.

"You're up"

"I am" I confirmed.

Chris set a bag on the kitchen counter before making his way over.

"Did you eat already?"

I shook my head.

"No, I was waiting for you" I replied.

He scratched his neck.

"I already ate"

Honestly, I was happy for Chris and at the fact that a girl had shown equal interest in him. It still pissed me off though that he was just dropping me to go hang out with her. Yes, it was selfish but the feeling of rejection hurt. I considered him to be one of my best friends, so it bummed me out that he just didn't want to hang out with me. 

"But I brought you food"

"Thank you" I answered.

Chris nodded and stared at me before asking,

"How'd you sleep?"

I shrugged lightly.

"Okay," I answered.

Last night, I couldn't sleep so I called Marisol. It was late, and even though I woke her up she still stayed up with me. I had actually shared with her that I did not like being alone, and I'm going to assume she remembered.

"Uh, I'm having dinner with Desiree, do you want to come with?"

I shook my head.

"Nah, I've got plans" I replied.

He slowly nodded and stared at me for a second before saying,

"You're not mad that I left, right?"

Of course I was mad, but he had every right to leave

"It is what it is," I said.

I cleared my throat.

"So what did you bring me?" I asked.

"Uh, I got you your usual plate at IHop"

"You know my order?" I questioned.

"Yup, I got you an extra crepe"

"Thanks," I told him as I walked around him and into the kitchen.

"We have no food, so I was thinking about going to the grocery store. Do you want to come with?"

"Sure" I responded.

"Okay, great. While you eat, I'll go shower"

"Sounds good," I said.

I rubbed my temples before standing up to get something to drink and a fork.

"You okay?"

"Yeah" I answered.

Once I got everything, I took a seat and looked at Chris.

"Can I help you?" I questioned.

He scratched his jaw.

"When was the last time you talked with your mom?"

"It's been a while" I answered.

And to be honest, it was bothering me. I was close to my mom, and I missed her daily calls. She did not approve that I was talking to Marisol, and I knew this because my older sister, Ashlie told me. I couldn't let my mom run my life, so I just had to suck it up.