Twenty Nine

Marisol's POV- September 2018

That exam had been brutal, but thankfully I studied enough to comprehend most of it. Today had been a long day, and I was ready to shower, eat something, and then go to bed. However, it looked like all of that was going to be put on hold because Cody was seated on the bench on the front porch of the house. 

I shut off my car and reached for my backpack. In the time I did that Cody stood up and made his way over. I should have seen this coming, I hadn't spoken to him all weekend. 

"You're ignoring me"

"I've been studying for the exam I had today" I noted as I closed the car door.

I finally turned to Cody when I locked the car.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

I guess my question came out a bit cold because Cody's eyes softened up a bit as a frown formed on his face.

"I've been trying to get a hold of you all weekend"

That he had.

"As I said before, I've been busy studying" I stated.

"I got worried when I didn't see your car parked out front"

"I could have parked inside the garage" I pointed out.

"You never do that"

He was correct there.

"I'm pretty sure dad would form some a task force if I ever go missing," I told him.

My dad knew where I was at all points during the day. Why? I had shared my location with him. He was protective because I was all he had. 

"Don't bring my friends into our arguments," I said.

He had reached out to Sabina for Stevie's address after Desi told him I was with Stevie.

"She told me to give you time to cool off"

"I was never mad" I admitted.

His jaw tightened.

"You were disappointed?"

I nodded.

"I don't want to ask you for another break, Cody," I told him.

He shook his head.

"No, we can talk it out"

"School comes first, you agreed on that terms when we started dating" I pointed out.

"I know, I was being selfish"

"You know very well that if I could make it to every single one of your home games I would" I noted.

"I'm sorry, it just sucks that most of the guys on the team have their girls and family join them on road trips"

"I have school" I reminded him.

Most of his teammate's significant others were either stay at home moms, unemployed, or worked from home. Let me tell you, those girls lived a pretty lonely life. 

"I know! I understand that, but it still sucks"

As much as I adored Cody, I would never give up my career for him.

"I know you sacrifice studying to go to games, and I'm thankful for that. Your life is literally dictated by your planner"

His bottom lip trembled.

"I had a super romantic night planned out for Saturday, and Sunday morning"

Oh, so that's why he was upset.