xxxiii. Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat, Freak : Part 2

After school Will and Gabbie got picked up by Jonathan and was driven home. As Gabbie stared out the window she noticed all the brown leaves on the trees as winter was coming shortly. As it was always coming up on a year on the event that occurred. She nor Will were ready for the anniversary of it. 

As soon as they all got home Gabbie ran straight inside to get her costume ready. On her way to her room she walked past her mother and Bob, each giving them a hello as she walked down the hall. Bob went wide eyed as he turned to Joyce mouthing the word 'Hello' as Gabbie had never greeted Bob before.

Gabbie didn't mind Bob, Some kids hate the fact that after a while their parents start dating again, but not Gabbie. After her real father left, all she wanted was for her mom to have someone to love, even as this year she's been distant with her mother those feelings never changed.

Gabbie's costume that she made was Daniel form the Karate Kid, the movie had only come out a few months ago but fell in love with it, So she decided to bring together some materials and made herself the iconic bandana he wore along with along with the karate uniform he wore. As Gabbie was getting ready in her room Bob was helping Jonathan with his videocamera.

"So you hit 'T' to zoom in, and 'W' zooms back out" Bob instructs Jonathan as he zooms in and out. "See? Easy-Peasy" Jonathan agreed as he put the camera down. "Just make sure to turn off the power to save energy there" Bob points to the off button which he clicks.

Joyce was helping Will again with his proton pack and fixing a few lose ends "Listen. Stay close to your sister and brother, okay? And listen, listen, listen... If you get a bad feeling or anything you tell them to take you straight home" Joyce says to her son worrying for him. Joyce was still uneasy about letting Will go off on his own without anyone, but she willing to let some of it go as he will have his friends and family with him. 

"You promise?" Joyce questions him

"Okay" Will agrees which makes Joyce smile at him. Gabbie finished getting ready as she tighten her bandana and grabbed her pillow case and walked into the lounge where everyone was.

"Alright you two ready?" Jonathan says to both younger Byers. They both says yeah as Joyce turns around and looks at Gabbie, this was the first time she was seeing her costume.

"Oh wow Gabbie, I really love it, I knew you liked the Karate Kid, Have fun" She says to her as she rubs her arm, Gabbie nods at her mother as she joins her brothers.

Will unlocks the front door eager to start trick or treating, Gabbie and Jonathan followed after him as Joyce waited at the door.

"Be safe" She says to them all.

Bob stands next to her "I hope it doesn't suck" Bob says imitating Dracula. All the children cringe at the line but smile anyways. Joyce just looks at her boyfriend and doesn't say anything.

The Byers got in the car as Jonathan drove off, their destination was the Wheeler household.

While on their way there, Will was sitting in the front seat next to Jonathan while Gabbie sat in the back.

"I just don't get what she sees in him" Jonathan speaks his thoughts out loud to his other siblings.

"What?" Will questions him, feeling spaced out again.

"Bob" Jonathan says to him with a look of almost disgust on his face.

"I don't mind him, he can be annoying, but he's alright" Gabbie says from the back.