xxviii. The New Boy

MADMAX : Part 2

It's around 7pm at the Byers house on a Sunday night, at this time Jonathan Byers is sitting on the couch reading his comics, Will is getting ready to go out to the arcade, and Joyce is trying to find her car keys to Will. Gabbie has her walkman that she got for her birthday and favourite David Bowie tape and was lying along the couch with her eyes closed, this is how she spent most of her time, listening to music and blocking out everyone.

"Oh found my keys!" Joyce yelled as she ran back into the lounge from her room with keys held high. Will smiles and rolls his eyes.

"Mom, we need to get you chain or something to put your keys on" Jonathan says to her without looking up from his page. Joyce laughs.

"No, no, I'm getting better, I only lost them four times this week" She says which earns a laugh from both Byers boys.

"Alright, Will, honey, are you ready to go?" Joyce says to him and he nods his head as he holds his bag back in his hand. "Did you ask your sister if she wanted to come?" Joyce asked him and he shook his head. Joyce walks over to the girl lying on the couch.

"Gabbie" Joyce says to her, but she doesn't answer. She says her name a little louder but again nothing, Joyce sighs in frustration as she pulls the headset off the girl, this makes Gabbie sit straight up and glare at her mother.

"What do you want?" Gabbie says in a annoyed tone as she snatches the headphones back.

"Do you want to go to the arcade with Will?" Joyce says in a more calm matter, Joyce really tries to be more calm around Gabbie as she can be set off very easily.

Gabbie sighs and says "Sure" as she stands up and puts on her shoes, She shoves her walkman in her pocket and lays her headphones around her neck. She walks past her mother and will as she walks outside and grab her skateboard that she got last year for Christmas. As she grabbed the board Will and Joyce had already walked outside and were getting into the car. Joyce got in the drivers seat, Will in the passengers seat and Gabbie got in the back. The drive to the arcade was pretty boring so Gabbie just slipped on her headphones and started the tape from the beginning as she drifted away to another place.

Within a few minutes they drove into the arcade car pack, Joyce beeps the car horn as she spots the boys park their bikes, they all scream hello to Will and he waves back. As Joyce starts to lecture both kids about what to do, Gabbie just sighed and got out the car with her skateboard. Joyce sighs in anger as she kisses Will's forehead.

"Have fun hun and watch out for your sister" Joyce says to her son and he says 'I will' as he gets out the car. Gabbie starts to skate around the car park with her headset on. Will walked up to his friends and hugged them all as they walked into the arcade together.

The boys started to play dragon's lair, while Dustin played while the boys watched. Gabbie was just skating around the car park, with her headphones on and looking at the ground. Out of no where she skates into someone, Gabbie goes flying off her board and straight to the ground. Lucky she knew how to fall right so she didn't hurt herself. She pushed her headphones off her ears and placed them on her neck.

"What the fuck dude" She yelled at the guy that skated into her, she saw him stand over her. He has medium length curly brown hair, brown eyes and he was wearing a black cap. Gabbie was taken back at the sight of the boy, she had never seen him before. She thought he looked handsome.

"Oh my god, I'm so fucking sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going, I had my headset on" He said as he put his hand out for Gabbie to grab. She looked at it, but stood up herself, she wasn't going to let herself become so weak all of a sudden, she's tough and doesn't need anyone, well that's what she tells herself.