Chapter 22

Chapter 22
                                                                        Daniel
    I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Knowing that it was Tyler, I didn’t answer as I turned the light off in the upstairs office and stepped into the hallway, pulling the door shut behind me.
    I smacked right into Mr. Greer.
    “Oh, sorry, Mr. Greer,” I said kindly. “I’ll see you in the main office tomorrow, sir.” With that I took a step toward the stairs, but a strong hand grabbed my wrist, planting me firmly where I was.
    I spun around and looked up at my boss in confusion. “Do you, um, need something?”
    He smiled warmly. “I just wanted to talk to you, Daniel. We never get to talk.”
    I lifted my brow and tried to pull my hand from him. I didn’t want to be touched. “I have to go, sir,” I said more firmly. “Tyler is waiting in the car for me.”
    The mention of Mr. Greer’s son seemed to make his eyes burn, and he tightened the grip on my wrist. My phone buzzed once more in my pocket, and I shot a wide eyed glance downstairs at the front door. “I have to go,” I said once more as I yanked my hand from Mr. Greer’s clutches.
    “You’re not going anywhere,” he said hauntingly as he grabbed me once more and pulling me into his chest. Before I could protest any father, he slammed his lips to mine.
    I stilled for a brief moment, but when my surroundings finally registered, I pushed against Mr. Greer’s chest, trying to move away from him.
    I found myself trapped in the strength of his arms; I couldn’t move.
    Turning my head in a desperate attempt to pull his lips from mine, I opened my mouth to scream, which gave him entry; he stuffed his disgusting tongue down my throat. My scream was muffled against his horrible lips, and doing the only thing I felt I could do, I bit down on his tongue, making him recoil in pain.
    “What the fuck is wrong with you!” He hissed.
    I took my chance and capitulated down the stairs, not even glancing over my shoulder. I was breathing heavily as I threw the front door open.
    I couldn’t believe what happened. Tyler’s father just stuck his tongue down my throat! I stopped for just a moment to catch my breath.
    That was when I saw Tyler, my Tyler, on the ground, leaning against the passenger door of his car. The look that hung all over his face was one of hurt, betrayal.
    Shit. Shit. Shit. Fuck! I screamed mentally.
    “Tyler!” I called out. He had to think that I kissed his father, but I didn’t. I would never do something like that to him.
    My words seemed to send him into hyper drive. He jumped to his feet and climbed into his car as I ran to him. Just as I reached the door, he managed to lock me out. I felt tears well in my eyes as Tyler started the car. I caught one last glance of the pain sucking the life from his eyes.
    I couldn’t lose him like this; Tyler was my everything.
    “Tyler, please!” I begged as he squealed off, nearly running me over in the process. “Fuck!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.
    Mr. Greer came out of the house looking fifty shades of pissed off. “Where is your car?” I barked before he had a chance to say anything.
    He eyed me and came down the stairs.
    “Give. Me. Your. Keys,” I commanded.
    A grin formed on his lips. The bastard smiled at me as he wrapped an arm around my waist once more. “What are you going to do to me in return?”
    That was it, the final straw. The love of my life nearly ran me over trying to get away from me because his disgusting, horrid father stuck his crusty tongue down my throat; I was not in the mood for this.
    As Tyler’s father touched his lips to mine for the last time, I lifted my knee and slammed it into his crotch. He fell like a boulder as he clenched his teeth. His breath came out in a snakelike hiss as he rolled into the fetal position. “Don’t ever fucking touch me again!” I spat. “I’m suing your ass for sexual harassment, you disgusting pig! I quit!”
    With that, I ran inside and stormed upstairs to the office. I tore the office apart for a set of keys, any set of keys. I finally found what I was looking for, leaving behind a wake of destruction in the process.
    My Tyler was in pain, and I needed to be there for him. I ran downstairs and threw the door that led to the garage open. Pressing the electronic unlock button on the set of keys, one of Mr. Greer’s car’s lights came to life.
    Not giving two damns about stealing a car, I climbed into the car and pressed the button on the roof that opened the garage door. I started the car and high-tailed it out of the Greer home.
    On the way to the apartment, I seemed to hit every traffic light humanly possible. “Fuck!” I breathed. “Fuck!” I said with more intensity as I slammed my hands onto the steering wheel. I found myself gripping the wheel so tightly that my knuckles popped in protest.
    I only wanted to get home, to tell Tyler what really happened, but when I finally made it to the apartment parking lot, something felt horribly wrong. Tyler’s car was just sitting there with the door open.
    Letting out another string of curses, I ran upstairs and my stomach dropped when I found the apartment door ajar.
    “Tyler?” I called as I stepped into the apartment. Something was horribly, terribly wrong. The bathroom light was on as I ran down the hallway.
    My heart climbed into my chest when I noticed the shattered mirror, blood, and empty pill bottles. “No,” I breathed, kicking myself into high gear. Tyler wouldn’t kill himself.
    “No. No. No,” was all I could manage as I followed the droplets of blood into the kitchen.
    I felt my heart stop its vital beating as I found Tyler, my Tyler, my prince, crumbled on the floor. Falling to my knees in front of him, I pulled him into my arms. “Tyler!” I screamed as tears blurred my vision. “Oh god, Tyler!”
    He didn’t move or respond, and I couldn’t see that he was breathing. I never saw someone so pale in my entire life. “Wake up!” I commanded as I shook him in my arms.
    No response.
    There was so much blood, and my heart beat erratically in my ears as I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cell phone. It took me three tries to dial 911 correctly with my hands violently shaking.
    “This is 911; what’s your emergency,” said the robotic voice.
    “My boyfriend,” I choked out, “I think  he overdosed, please help me,” I begged. “Please.”
    “What’s your address?”
    I told her my address and she continued to talk, but I couldn’t focus. Slinging my phone across the kitchen and shattering it against the wall, I placed Tyler on the ground and gave him CPR. Thankfully, I knew how to do it properly; it was probably the only useful thing I ever learned in high school.
    I pumped his chest as more tears fell. Snot dripped down my nose, as I breathed into his mouth. “Please,” I begged the air. “Don’t die.”
    Tyler didn’t respond, but I didn’t give up. My breath was his breath, and I refused to accept that he was dead before me despite the paleness of his skin and how frail his limp body felt.
    When the ambulance finally came, a paramedic had to yank me from Tyler. I fought against him as another paramedic carried away my prince. The one holding me back finally dropped me, letting me fall to my knees in the kitchen.
    I cried alone for hours.
    I’m still not exactly sure how I made it to the hospital, but there I was, sitting in the vacant waiting room of a hospital as I waited for any word on my Tyler. I sat for a few minutes, then pushed myself to my feet and paced.
    I sobbed and cradled myself for what felt like another few hours.
    An uninterested doctor finally walked in, jarring me to my feet. I chewed on my nails as he spoke. “We were able to pump his stomach,” he said as he flipped through a clipboard, “but he slipped into a coma.”
    “Coma?” I felt my face drain. “He’s in a coma? For how long?” I felt more tears well in my eyes.
    “We don’t really know,” he said as he finally met my eyes. “It could be a few days, a week, months, years.” He placed a hand on my shoulder and muttered something along the lines of an apology and disappeared where he came from.
    I felt as if my entire world shattered around me.

    I spent every single day in the hospital with Tyler. It hurt me to see him hooked up to machines, but I couldn’t leave him alone.
    He needed to have someone with him, and I knew that his father would never come.
    I read to Tyler as I held his hand. Hell, I even carted over my DVD player and watched Mean Girls over and over in hopes that it would make him up.
    It didn’t.   
    Every day, I bought him flowers; I wanted him to have something beautiful to wake up. After a week, his room was filled with flowers, roses, wildflowers, daisies, anything I could get my hands on.
    I tried to keep my hopes up, but I knew that as each day passed on, Tyler was inching farther from me, and it killed me. Not seeing him smile was more than enough to rip my heart out and tear it in half.
    I placed a kiss on his cheek as I took his hand in mine. Leaning forward in my uncomfortable hospital chair, I rested my head on Tyler’s hand and finally succumbed to sleep. It was the first decent sleep I had since Tyler arrived in this forsaken place.
    When I awoke, I nearly fooled myself into thinking that Tyler would be smiling down at me; however, he sat there like a porcelain statue.
    My mother and father came the second week. Tangled in their arms, I collapsed into an emotional puddle once more. Sobbing into my parents and leaning into them for any support.
    They reassured me that everything would be fine, and I wanted so desperately to believe them, but I knew deep down that my life was over. The love of my life was never coming back to me.
    On the third week, a girl with short red hair came in, wearing her work outfit. “Are you Tyler’s boyfriend?” She asked as she came in cradling a vase of flowers with a brightly colored “get well soon” balloon floating from it.
    I nodded at her, but turned my eyes back to my sleeping prince.
    “My name is Amanda,” she said calmly. “I work with Tyler.” Pausing, she added, “How’s he doin’?”
    Tears threatened to fall from my eyes, but I swallowed them down. “No one knows,” I mumbled. “His vitals are good, but he won’t wake up.”
    Amanda sat on the edge of Tyler’s bed and took his hand in hers. I didn’t know Tyler made a friend at work, but from the way she looked down at him, I could tell that she cared deeply for him.
    “Tyler’s such a nice guy,” she choked out as her own tears began to fall. “The day it happened,” she began, “this old woman couldn’t afford her groceries, and Tyler paid for them for her.” She turned to me. “People don’t do things like that anymore.”
    I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn’t find the right words, so I remained silent.
    Amanda kissed Tyler’s hand lightly as she stood. “I have to go to my shift,” she said apologetically, “but when Tyler wakes up, will you tell him that I was here? He needs to know that he has friends, ya know?”
    I did my best to smile at her as I nodded. “I’ll tell him.” Looking back down at my prince, I smiled for the first time in forever. “You made a friend, babe, and I bet you didn’t even realize it.” Leaning forward, I placed a kiss on his lips. “You’re always so full of surprises, huh?”
    As usual, Tyler remained completely motionless.
    “Tyler, if you can hear me, please wake up,” I pleaded as another wave of tears fell over me. “I don’t know what I’ll do without you,” I choked out.
    I pushed myself to my feet as my anger boiled over, mixing with all my other emotions and becoming a steaming pile of confusion.
    “This isn’t fair to me!” I said too loudly. Running my hands through my hair, I went on. “Where am I supposed to run if things don’t work out, Tyler? Where am I supposed to go if you leave me?”
    My entire being ached for Tyler to move, to just stir in his eternal slumber, but nothing happened.
    “If you don’t come back to me, I’ll hate you forever,” I spat as I looked down at my prince.
    Nothing.
    I sat down in my chair, propping my elbows up on the bed as I placed my face in my hands and wept. “I can’t do this, Tyler. It hurts me too much to see you like this.” I lifted my eyes and wiped away my tears. “Do something to make me stay,” I willed. “You have to make me stay, Tyler.”
    Nothing.
    I stood up in frustration. What else was I supposed to do?
    “I hate you!” I screamed as I fell to my knees. “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you.”
    A nurse came running in, but I shooed her on her way from the ground.
    I hated Tyler for leaving me alone in the world; I hated him for overreacting; I hated him for not letting me explain, but no matter how much hate I held towards him, I would always love him.
    When I pushed myself to my feet, I found myself torn between two options: staying here waiting for Tyler to wake up or leaving him and never turning back.
    I wanted desperately for Tyler to wake up, but if I left this room, I knew that I would never be able to turn around and come back. Seeing him like this was more than enough to push me over the edge, but knowing that he would leave the world without even fight drove daggers into my heart.
    I thought he was happy with me.
    I knew Tyler was fragile, but he grew so much stronger in the last year, I never expected him to crack so easily. Tyler knew that I loved him; he knew that I would never do something so stupid to jeopardize our relationship. I could easily see myself asking him to be my husband. I wanted to share my entire life with him because he was my life.
    If he had any shred of love for me, he wouldn’t have tried to kill himself.
    Making my decision, I sat in the chair one last time and pulled Tyler’s hand into mine. “Tyler,” I said gently as tears dripped down my cheek and continued down my neck, “if you don’t wake up right now, I’m never coming back.”
    There was no movement.
    Leaning down, I placed my final kiss on his lips, as I pulled away, I studied his beautiful face and brushed a curl of his hair from his eyes. “Goodbye, Tyler.”
    I stood, still holding his hand in mine. There was no doubt that I would love Tyler for as long as I lived. You never stop loving someone once you’ve given him your heart.
    Leaning down once more, I touched my lips to the top of his cool hand. “Goodbye, my sleeping prince.”
    As I turned my back, I hesitated at the door. Closing my eyes, I mentally willed Tyler, my Tyler, my love, my prince, one last time to wake up. Taking a deep breath, I turned around and faced him for the last time.

----

I'm so sorry, guys! I haven't had internet, and I meant to get this chapter up yesterday. Forgive me?

Poor Daniel </3

As always, please take the time to vote and leave a comment below (: I always love feedback. Also, if you're new here, I would love for you to fan me, but that's all up to you <3

We are almost to the very very end of this story. Almost.