B I R T H D A Y

Point of View: Roman, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" Patton cheered, holding up a single purple cupcake with a black candle lit on top. 

Virgil blinked sleepily at the both of us from his bed.  He narrowed his eyes and noticed the cupcake.  He groaned, yanking the covers over his head.

"Nope," I argued, yanking the covers off the bed dramatically.

Virgil whined, burying his face in his pillow.  He curled into a small ball of purple plaid pajamas, not ready for the sudden cold.  "Roman..."

"Nope! Today is not going to spent in bed, anxiously awaiting the sunset," I said firmly, pointing my finger at Virgil. "We have a bunch of stuff planned so you're going to get up," I gently pulled Virgil into an upright position.

Virgil frowned, fading purple bangs falling into his face.  But he stayed sitting upright, so I'd say that's a win.

"You're gonna blow out this candle," Patton continued, holding the cupcake out to Virgil, still smiling brightly - even if his smile still looked a little forced to me.  He'd been having a good week so far, getting better at accepting Logan's death.  Of course he still had his moments, and they were no where close to stopping anytime soon, but he could be happy again - even if just for a day.

Virgil groaned again, but blew out the candle.

"And you're going to get out of your pajamas, we'll meet you downstairs!" I smiled.

"Guys... you really don't have to do this today," Virgil ran a hand through his hair.  "Honestly, I appreciate the thought and effort - really, I do - but I don't feel like celebrating."

Patton frowned, sitting down next to Virgil on the bed.  "I know that you don't really feel like celebrating, especially after what happened with Logan on his birthday," Patton coaxed.  "But you're not Logan, and the both of us want you to have a good memory of today," Patton smiled softly.  "Don't feel guilty about being happy, Vee."

Virgil gave Patton a half-hearted smile.  "I'll try."

"That's the spirit... sorta!" Patton smiled wide, lifting Virgil to his feet.  "Prince and I will meet you downstairs for your birthday breakfast!"

Virgil huffed, seemingly amused by Patton's enthusiasm.  But he didn't argue, instead setting his cupcake on his nightstand.  He yawned before padding over towards the bathroom - giving us a two-finger salute as he closed the door behind him.

Patton turned to me.  "I can't believe that worked."

"Neither can I," I admitted.  "But I'm not complaining. Come on, help me finish setting up!"

Patton and I raced down the stairs, the both of us running around like mad men to make sure everything was in place.  Virgil's waffles were on the table, the black and purple balloons still floating, the streamers obnoxiously in the way as always.  The cake I had made early this morning was sitting in the center of the table, a dark purple cake decorated with little designs of Virgil's favorite things - spider webs, music notes, and a storm cloud-

"Oh my God."

Patton and I both turned at the same time, grinning brightly at the sight of Virgil - who looked unabashedly spellbound.  He wordlessly brushed the - like I said, obnoxious - streamers out of his field of vision and gaped at the kitchen.  "Oh my God."

"Happy Birthday!!" Patton giggled, jogging over and pulling Virgil over to a chair.  "Come on, hurry up or your waffles will get cold!"

Virgil didn't get the chance to protest as he was sat down, looking a little overwhelmed in all honesty.

"We didn't know what you would put on your waffles so we got a bunch of stuff," Patton continued.  "We have good old syrup, canned apples, powdered sugar, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, strawberries..."

"Guys," Virgil's voice broke and we both stared at him - stunned into silence.  Oh gosh, he hated it didn't he? This was a terrible idea, oh gosh he's going to hate me...

"Guys, this... this is amazing," Virgil finally managed to say before bursting into tears.

Patton squeaked in surprise, quickly grabbing the tissue box and handing it to Virgil.  Virgil have him a watery smile in return, but it was genuine.  And for the first time I realized that Virgil hadn't really smiled since Logan's death.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed it.

"It was mostly Prince," Patton admitted.  "This was all his idea, I just helped," Patton smiled proudly at me and I realized that it had been a while since I'd seen him genuinely smile too.

Virgil's eyes flickered over to me,  standing awkwardly a couple feet away.  He got up, took a couple steps towards me and wrapped his arms around me - all without saying a word but he didn't have to say anything.  I understood.

"Thanks Ro," Virgil whispered.  "Thank you."

I hugged him back.

____________________