Chapter 17 -What Now?-

Start from the beginning

The gates suddenly open quickly up quickly, and the two odd guards return.

"Introducing!" 

"Special operative!"

"Caroline Cordovin!" Both say.

A short-statured old lady who looks like around Maria's age was wearing the Atlesian officer uniform. She steps forward and glares at Maria.

'My god she's short,' 

"Be nice," Summer says.

"Witch," Cordovin says.

"She-devil," Maria responds.

"Hm, I've seen you've chosen larger contraband to smuggle this time," Cordovin says.

"Oh, Cordo. You know they say time changes people, but I see you've still got that stick right up your--"

"PG!" I interrupted.

"H-Hello! Miss, uh, Cordovin. My name is Ruby Rose, and I was wondering if you would hear us out about--,"

"I've already heard what your other little freinds had to say, Miss Rose," Cordovin says and looks behind us, I look back to see she noticed Jaune, Nora, and Ren are there, "What are you doing back here?! I thought I told you to leave!"

Nora tries to charge forward, only to be held back by Ren and Jaune, "I told you we wouldn't rest until you let is through!"

Ren nervously smiles and waves, "Nice to see you again as well!"

"You civilians are clearly incapable of comprehending the importance of our mission here in Argus. So allow me to say this slowly, with smaller words: This base, that relay tower, the very safety of Argus are all gifts from the glorious Kingdom of Atlas!" Cordovin says, "And it is my duty to uphold them, as only I have the wit and tenacity for such a task,"

"Such wit!" Guard Nubuck one says.

"Such tenacity!" Guard Nubuck two says.

"Or maybe Atlas just wanted to get you as far from the kingdom as possible," Maria says.

Cordovin growls, " You're just like the rest of these Argus ingrates! This city wouldn't even be here if it weren't for our Atlesian ancestors, and what do we get in return? The entire world is ready to put a knife to our throats!"

'While being so short, she has a really short fuse as well,'

"Please, we know your kingdom had nothing to do with the Fall of Beacon. We were there," Ruby says.

"No one's happy about the Atlas borders or embargo, but I know General Ironwood is just worried. It's why we need to talk to--" Weiss says before being interrupted.

"The General is no coward! Atlas is strong. If all the kingdoms plan to make us their enemy, then so be it! Atlas will prevail!" Cordovin says.

"Atlas will prevail!" Both Nubuck Guards say.

"Do you guys seriously have to do that?" Yang says unimpressed.

Cordovin sighs, "If Miss Schnee has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then, of course, the Atlas military will escort her home. But the kingdom will not be responsible for her "friends" of... questionable character," She glances at Back.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Weiss says in a hostile tone.

"It means we're done here,"

The gates quickly close, leaving still outside once again.