Chapter 138

Padmé wasn't a Jedi. She'd be the first to admit that.

But that didn't keep her from knowing something was wrong the moment her husband came home. Maybe it was the lack of pep in his step or how slow his smile appeared once he arrived.

Maybe it was how invisibly uncertain he looked in his own skin in his own home, something only Padmé would ever notice....

Or maybe it was that haunted look in his eyes and the near invisible fear, worry, and pain.

Or how when he hugged her, it felt as though they been apart for months, not less than twelve hours....

Or maybe it was all of those things.

"Is everything alright?" she whispered in his ear.

"Yes...." Padmé had never seen Anakin attempt a worse lie, and that was saying something. Before she could call him out on it, he continued: "I just.... There's something very important I need to tell you, later when we're alone. Alright?"

Padmé studied him, concerned. "Alright, but I want my explanation."

"You'll have it, promise."

She kept her eyes on him for a moment longer before turning her gaze to the other arrivals, forcing a carefree look onto her features. "Obi-Wan! It's so good to see you again. I heard that you're leaving tomorrow."

***

Padmé was staring out into the city, brushing her hair. Dinner had finished a while ago, and Obi-Wan has long since left while Luna had been sent to bed only a little bit ago. Padmé had already changed into her nightclothes, and unless she was mistaken, Anakin was wasting time staring at her instead of getting ready for bed.

"Are you ever going to tell me what's wrong?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"Once I find the words," Anakin's voice replied. Padmé turned to look at him. He, as predicted, was still in his Jedi ware, leaning against the wall as he watch her.

His eyes still looked as haunted as ever.

"Ani, what's wrong?" she asked, moving to his side, setting her hair brush down on a nearby table. Anakin just studied her before pulling her into an embrace and bearrying his face into her hair.

"I.... I need to tell you something," he finally said, his voice sounding choked up as he struggled to contain his emotions. Padmé rubbed a reassuring hand on his back.

"Go on, you can tell me," she told him soothingly, even as she wondered what in the galaxy could be affecting him so much. She felt Anakin nod.

"I know....but just in.... Just in case, if.... If you want to leave, you can.... If you want me to leave I will.... If you never want to see me again—"

"Anakin!" Padmé interrupted, breaking out of the embrace to look him in the eyes. "What in the name of the Force would ever make you think that way?"

Anakin took a deep breath, collecting himself as his eyes darted away from hers.

"We found Vader—no, we found who Vader was before he turned," he finally told her, still not looking into her eyes. Padmé took a forcefully steady breath.

"That's good news, isn't it?" Anakin only nodded jurkally in response. She frowned in worry, remembering that Vader was supposedly close to her husband. It would explain his mood if a friend happened to be an up and coming Sith, but Padmé couldn't for the life of her figure out who. "Ani.... Ani, who is it?"

Anakin waited a moment before speaking, bringing his eyes up to hers.

His voice was somehow calm and steady. His eyes were pained, asking for forgiveness.

"He's standing in front of you."