Chapter 83

The day had ended and everyone was turning in for the night. Luna had long since slipped into her assigned room to be alone after dinner, deciding to finally fully process what had happened to her on Halloween along with everything else that had happened in the aftermath. Considering how messed up her mental walls were now, what was the harm in messing them up more?

So, when someone knocked on the door to her room, surprise would have been an understatement. A visitor was the last thing she expected.

"Come in," Luna called. The door slide open to reveal Luke standing in the doorway.

Crap, Luna thought to herself.

"We need to talk," Luke said, his voice hard as he walked in, the door sliding closed behind him.

Crappity, crap. Crap. "Right," Luna said, drawing out the word as she took a deep breath. This conversation was going to be so fun for her. Note the sarcasm.

"Mind telling me what the hell happened for my father to-to—"

"To turn?" Luna said, although it sounded more like a question, wincing as she finished Luke's statement.

"What happened? And you'd better give me the full story."

"Are you sure you want to hear it? It isn't pretty."

"I need to."

Luna nodded, sighing as she resigned herself to her fate. "Then I'd suggest you sit down. It's a very long and tragic story."

***

"So in a summery, the Emperor corrupted Father by saying that he could teach him how to save Mother."

"That would be the bare bones of it," Luna confirmed. Luke ran a hand over his face.

"First thing's first then: We tell Father who the Emperor is."

"No!" Luna objected. "We can't do that, not yet. The timings all wrong, and Anakin trusts him too much. If you must name the Emperor, say it's Sidious."

"But he's walking right into a trap!"

"Not yet. Luke, trust me on this, if we reveal it now, it'll blow up in our faces."

"You can't face down a Sith Lord! Hell, even I can't."

"I don't have to! I won't have to even meet him!" Luna replied. "Luke, let me figure it out, please."

Luke grumbled something unintelligible: "Fine.... How do we know this hasn't happened before? Like how do we know we aren't is some.... I don't know...."

"Time paradox?" Luna asked. Luke nodded. "Vader would have recognized me if he knew me, and I doubt you and Anakin would have had enough time to save me if that had been the case. The only reason I lasted so long against him was because he was curious as to how I could feel the Force so well even though I wasn't sensitive. Once we go back, anything is possible."

"Good or bad," Luke muttered. Luna bit her lip and nodded, trying not to think about how she had the weight of the galaxy on her shoulders. Luke looked at the chrono and noticed that it was beginning to get really late. "I've got one more question."

"Shoot."

"I feel like Vader can be turned back to the light, but...."

"But everyone else thinks he can't?"

"Including Father," Luke said, obviously uncertain about what to do. Whether or not to trust his feelings or his mentors and his father.

"Well, they're wrong," Luna replied, crossing her arms in defiance. "Vader can be turned back, and if anyone can do it, it's you."

Luke looked at her and smiled: "Thanks."

"No problem," Luna replied. "I'm only speaking the truth."

"It's getting late," Luke said standing up. "We should both get to sleep while we can."

"Right," Luna replied with a yawn. Luke walked to the door.

"You know, you're going to have to tell him at some point," he said, pausing at the door.

"And you will have to tell Leia at some point."

"Don't remind me."