Chapter 23

Luna flopped into bed as her stomach growled. She had skipped breakfast, not that there would have been anything left to eat; skipped lunch, no one had gone to the store and nearly everyone was out of the house, so there would have been nothing even if Luna had dragged herself out of the bedroom to check the fridge; and had barely managed to get a small plate of food for dinner, the rest was devoured by everyone else, as if she lived with a pack of wolves, of which she was the runt and Omega.

It wasn't anything new, the only meals Luna ever seemed to get that were enough for her was her school lunches, and even then, she couldn't always find something that looked edible and had to choke down a good portion of it. On any other Saturday, she would have gone out to get at least one decent meal at a fast food restaurant, but she hadn't done so that day, just wanting to stay at home. Luna's mental walls around her feelings of the past were never as concrete on her birthday compared to as they were on any other given day. Right now she knew she was fragile, it wouldn't take much for those walls to come crashing down. Besides, the money she occasionally spent on food was currently being used to feed others that needed it more.

Luna opened up the book in her hands. She had nearly completely finished reading the two books she had bought on Thursday. It took her mind off of what day it was and she couldn't risk crying in the presence of others. She had also finished preparing her Leia costume. All in all, it had been a semi-productive day.

She couldn't wait for it to end though.

***

Anakin didn't know what, but something had been bogging him down all day. It had irked him to no end.

It was only when night was falling and he was thinking that Luna should have been at the hideout if she had changed her mind when he realized that it was her he was sensing. Anakin closed his eyes and fell into the Force, trying to pinpoint what was happening. It wasn't hard to discover that all of her mental shielding was down, something about Breha Organa looking out at a view on Alderaan. Luna was reading.

But that wasn't the complete reason for her depressed mood that Anakin had somehow managed to pick up on all day. Anakin frowned as he finally managed to block off Luna's feelings.

What was that all about?