Chapter 11 "Questions"

Lauren

I paced back and forth for some time now, waiting for the doctor, or anyone to come out from the operating room who could tell me about Alex's situation. I didn't know how long they had brought her inside as I lost track of time, feeling anxious since everything that had happened. I admit, my mind was still reeling about what happened earlier, and I was having a hard time processing it, but what I was currently going through wasn't important as my main concern right now was Alex, who was fighting for her life. 

Tears started streaming down my face once again as I slowly lowered myself on the seat, recalling the moment I saw her lying on the floor, bleeding. After everything that happened, that time was the only thing that kept appearing on my mind. It was like everything had stopped when I first saw her, I couldn't think straight, even I forgot about that the man who tried to kill me. I crawled to her side without minding the man as the fear that I felt for my life had vanished, replaced with the fear of losing Alex.

"Lauren!" I snapped out of my daze when I heard a familiar voice called me, and looking up, I saw Rebecca came running to my direction, a worried expression was plastered on her face.

"Rebecca," I mumbled as I stood up.

"I flew back as soon as I heard. How is she?" she asked briskly.

I shook my head, "I don't know, she's still inside."

"Oh my God..." she mumbled, distraught as she slowly took a seat, a tear had rolled down her cheek, "What happened?" she added. I averted my gaze from her, and stared at an empty space in front of me as I tried to remember everything, even if I didn't want to relive what had happened.

"There was a man who tried to kill me...He came in to the office, and accused my fiance, Ethan, of killing his son...He wanted revenge, by killing me, but he failed because Alex protected me."

"Oh God, I'm so sorry Lauren. I couldn't imagine what you had been through...How are you holding up?" she asked worriedly, and I felt a little grateful that she wasn't angry as Alex got hurt because of me.

I let out a deep breath, and wiped my tear-stained cheeks, "I'm trying to keep it together...but what I'm feeling right now doesn't matter. It's Alex whom we should be worried about...Have you told her parents, or someone she knows, about what happened?"

She shook her head, "I haven't told her parents. We can't let them know Lauren, especially not about this," she answered sternly, making me frown. 

"Why not? They deserve to know."

"I know...and I also know Alex wouldn't want to tell them, it would just complicate things for her...Trust me Lauren...They can't know." I stared at her curiously, trying to read her expression, but it was for naught when she avoided my gaze. Yes, I wanted her to ask her to elaborate, but I decided not to as I didn't think now was the perfect time nor she was the right person to ask about it.

As we sat in painful silence, both wrapped in our thoughts, the door to the operating room suddenly flew open, and looking up, I saw the male doctor who did the operation on Alex.

"How is she?" Rebecca eventually asked as we both walked up to the doctor. The doctor then pursed his lips into a tight line as his gaze flickered between Rebecca and me. 

Just staring at his serious expression caused my heart to beat harder, thinking something had gone wrong.

"There was an internal bleeding..." he paused, and as my gaze didn't leave his, feeling the heaviness of my heart, he unexpectedly broke into a small smile, "but we managed to stop it, and luckily no vital organs have been damaged, so the operation is a success...The patient is now stable." After hearing the good news, I let out a huge sigh of relief as the heavy weight had eventually been lifted off my chest, and I broke into a grateful smile, feeling a hot tear rolled down my cheek at the same time.