Chapter 42 "Escape"

Noticing the smug expression on his face as he strode across the room, it was as if he wasn't in a serious situation, confided in a small space, wearing an orange fit, which by the way, actually suited him well. I admit, it pissed me off how calm he looked after all the things I did to put him where he belonged. He was actually doing it pretty good, acting unfazed by what was happening on him, although, I wouldn't expect any less from him, knowing this wasn't probably the first time he was in a predicament like this. The only thing that had been keeping me composed right now was the fact that seeing him already looking like a prisoner, brought me a bit of satisfaction.

Still, it wasn't enough enough to get rid of the annoyance I was feeling just seeing him still in his usual self.

He slowly took a seat, slumping his back on the chair as he curled his lips into a conniving smile, fixing his gaze on me through the glass partition. He then took the telephone from the side, bringing it to his ear without hesitation, mirroring what I just did.

"You look well, King..." he commented, causing me to almost roll my eyes, "I admit, it felt weird calling you with that name...It brings back some...memories..." he suddenly added, chuckling.

"I'm glad it reminded you of all the terrible things you did...Get used to calling me that, 'cause I ain't going anywhere, Clifford."

He snorted, "Even if you do remind me of your father, it means nothing, not even a slightest bit...You should know by now that I don't regret what I did, hell...I'd do it again in a heartbeat," he mumbled calmly, and it took me an ounce of control to stay seated and not pounce on him even if a glass was dividing us. I wanted to mess up his face so bad to wipe off that smugness he was wearing, he was just damn lucky I couldn't reach him. Instead, I clenched my fists, and gritted my teeth to keep myself at bay. I already expected he wouldn't show any remorse, but it didn't mean that it wouldn't affect me one bit.

"You started it all, now look where that got you, in a jail cell. Tell me, are you liking it here?" I asked tauntingly. 

"I don't know what strings you pulled for keeping me here more than I'd like, but one thing I do know is that...it wouldn't be long until I get out of this hellhole, and once I do, you better hide well because I'm coming for you, King," he threatened, not even holding back, eventually making me chuckle.

"Be careful what you say, we're being recorded," I paused, briefly examining his expression, "...To tell you honestly, Clifford...your threats no longer scare me, though I learned not to underestimate you again. I'm sure you'll do everything you can to get back at me and finish what you started, and I'm actually...looking forward to it," I said, smirking, noticing how he briefly frowned.

"You've changed...you've grown more confident, King, and I admit, I quiet like it...I can imagine the look on your face once your plans fail..." he added amusingly.

I smiled, "And I can imagine the look on your face once I proved you wrong...Try me, Clifford. I've managed to put you here, even when I just came out from a coma, imagine, what I could do, the moment you try to escape from here..."

"We'll see about that, King...I'll be seeing you soon," he hinted, before slowly putting the phone back, and stood up, his gaze still trained on me carefully. His gaze could intimidate someone, but not me, I was way past that, after I experienced hell because of him. A simple stare wouldn't bother me anymore, although there was something about his gaze I couldn't fathom, it piqued my curiosity.

I put the phone back once he turned his back on me, and lifted myself off the seat, ready to leave the room, but I stopped after taking my first step when I noticed Clifford suddenly went still as his hand was on the door handle. He then turned to my direction, making me frown as we met gazes, and unexpectedly, a look of horror instantly crossed his face, his eyes suddenly shot wide. He slowly began coughing as he immediately raised his hand to his chest, and in just a matter of seconds, the coughing had turned to choking. It didn't take long before he slowly fell to his knees, and as he was on the floor, the door suddenly flew open and came in two officers who instantly went to his aid.