Epilogue

I was walking up the set up of stairs to the penthouse. It felt like I was getting too old to be doing their bidding. All they seemed to be interested in was Alexandra Matheson. Everything she did was of interest. Not that I blamed them, she was the youngest and the face of House Matheson.

       "So?" My Uncles barely acknowledged me when I opened the room. The familiar set of amber eyes were staring back at me. My Uncles were seated, waiting on me to arrive.

      "She submitted her name this morning." I told my Uncles who merely stare back at me. "I couldn't get near the trunks. The Black Family enchanted them." I showed them my wrapped up hand. The bleeding and pain had stopped. "I was almost caught."

     "And Alexandra, where is she now?" My Uncle Frederick asked barely taking a glimpse of my hand. We all looked alike due to our height, and build and of course characteristics. Dark hair and amber eyes.

    "At the school." I answered, not bothering to take a seat. I would be dismissed soon enough. "Damien is keeping her there so she stays out of trouble. She is drawing in vampires. We are keeping them away. The Burns have reappeared." I added because the news was going to spread soon. They would want to know about the Burns rejoining the Slayers.

    "Don't let Rochelle see you or she will recognize you." My Uncle Frederick ordered. "And Damien trusts you?"

     "Enough," I answered with a shrug. I was a vampire and that alone was enough to push people away. My status had to be kept a secret. Others couldn't release my status without my consent. My father had created that law when I had been turned into a vampire. He had done it to protect me. "I met Alexandra." I admitted to them. It had been weeks since my last visit.

My curiosity had gotten the better of me. I had spoken to Alexandra Matheson. She wasn't like I had imagined her to be. She was too young for some reason I had expected her to be older. She was still a teenager so she was mistrustful and impulsive. And she was arrogant but that was a quality that everybody carried with them.

"Am I late?" My Uncle Benjamin walked in. "Royal how are you son?"

      "Doing well," I answered looking him over. He was wearing his usual contacts. My Uncle Benjamin had given me the idea that I cover my eyes too otherwise I could be discovered.

     "We were just discussing Alexandra. Royal met her."

     "As have I." My Uncle responded with a shrug. They all glared up at us. We weren't supposed to be in contact with her. "She was a patient of mine. The Lancers broke her jaw."

    "So she's weak." My Uncle Frederick snarled getting to his feet. "I told you that she should have been killed when she was born."

     "Sit down brother." Uncle Benjamin served himself a single glass of scotch. "She is not weak. As a matter of fact, she is quite healthy and strong. Smart girl too. She is leaving the School. She submitted her name earlier in the day." He took a sip of his drink. "She will make an excellent First Slayer. Damien did a fine job with her."

     "Damien," My Uncle James snorted in dislike. "What does he know about training a Slayer? He was the last House to-"

     "He did an excellent job with her. She's bright, healthy and well trained. A little young to be First Slayer if you ask me but we don't have a choice." My Uncle Benjamin sat down across his brothers. "She was bitten so that complicates things. I did the best I could when she was a patient of mine but there are some symptoms."

     "It complicates things for everybody, for sure." Uncle James rose to his feet. "How did you meet her Royal?"

     "She was out with her friends and she stumbled on a blood bank." I cleared my throat awkwardly trying to not give myself away. "She is too young. She's only eighteen years old. We should wait until she takes First Slayer or maybe even have her wait a few years." I advised them. There was going to be no use trying to convince them. They wanted her to become First Slayer since she was the only legitimate grand daughter of Veronica Matheson.

    "I agree with Royal." Uncle Benjamin stepped in rising to his feet to serve himself another drink. "The Matheson name doesn't hold the power it used to. Things went badly when we didn't kill our brother when he was turned. The Houses blame us."

    "Traitors. All of them are traitors." Frederick replied while throwing his hand up in the air. "We should dismantle all the Houses and raise new ones."

Uncle Benjamin rolled his eyes at me and rotated his finger at his head. I kept a straight face.

    "Yes because we can make new Houses with a snap of our fingers, brother." He laughed at Uncle Frederick. "You are far too old and not with the times."

    "Alright don't start arguing," James interceded. "Let's focus on Alexandra who needs to become First Slayer. The only one that can raise new Houses is Alexandra. She may have to if the rumors are true."

There were some whispers going around that more and more humans were going missing and being turned into vampires. The rumors were from various cities around the world. No Sire in particular was linked. That was odd.

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I don't know how willing Alexandra will be." Uncle Benjamin responded thoughtfully. "She doesn't have Veronica's .....willing attitude."

    "That's because Jamie was a fool. He got himself wrapped up with the Del Monte girl. We should have killed her. We wouldn't be having this mess if we had only killed them all but we were soft." Uncle Frederic snapped at everybody. He waved at me to serve him a drink. Uncle Benjamin shook his head at me. Instead he served him.

   "If she would have been killed, our House and whatever remaining power we have left would have died with her. She will represent us when she finds out the truth. For now let us wait, things will work out." Uncle Benjamin placed a calm hand on Uncle Frederick so he could calm down. He snatched his drink out of Uncle Benjamin's hand and sat down. "Royal keep an eye on your cousin. I will be posted at the School if you need anything. Keep Damien's trust. He named you Second Slayer that is a start."

   "Yes, sir." I answered with brisk nod.

   "She becomes First Slayer in three months. Brothers, prepare yourselves. House Matheson is back." Uncle Benjamin rose his glass to the ceiling. "We regain our power and she will build our House back up." I kept my hands together as I stared at my Uncles. I hoped they were right because hiding was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Continue to Book II: Gabriela