The Whistler

Early in the morning, there was a knock on my bedroom door. I sat up feeling slightly disoriented. There was a lingering headache-

         "Alexandra," Lydia called through my bedroom door. "Are you alright?" Someone else was with her but I couldn't make out who it was. There was a light coming into my room. I didn't even have the strength to get up to close the curtains to get rid of the sunlight.

        "Yes." I huffed loudly falling back onto my pillow. "I'm fine."

She fussed with the doorknob.

       "Breakfast will be ready soon, okay?" she seemed to be leaning against my door.

      "Yeah, okay." I called back so she would leave me alone. She stayed at my door for a moment until finally I heard footsteps walk away.

I leaned back on my pillow letting the rest of my body follow suit. I felt exhausted from yesterday. My body was telling me that I needed to sleep some more. 

I woke up startled to some more knocking. It was a lot rougher. He didn't have to say anything for me to know who it was.

         "I'm tired, Damien. Go away." I grumbled into my pillow, not wanting to get up to open the door. The amount of sunlight streaming into my bedroom told me that it was either noon or slightly past noon. I had slept through my morning classes.

        "Alexandra, please open the door." my godfather called through the door. I let out a groan, letting them know that I was alive but not getting up.

       "I'm really tired. I'll attend classes tomorrow." I raised my voice loud enough for them to hear. There was another rough knock at the door but I only buried my face into my pillow while throwing the blanket over my head.

Damiens' voice floated through the door. I could hear him telling the others that I was excused from classes today. He would be back tomorrow to check up on me.

I sighed with relief when I heard their footsteps leaving. At least they would leave me alone for the rest of the day. 

I ended up sleeping for the rest of the day. That sound that knocked me out was being used intermittently throughout the day. It was getting absolutely ridiculous because I couldn't even find the strength to get out of my bed. My entire body was aching even though I hadn't done anything. The only thing that I could do was sleep or lay on my bed. My mind felt heavy and clouded to the point that my brain wasn't connecting with my body.

The following morning, I woke up to some more knocking but I couldn't even open my mouth to say anything. I was utterly exhausted. My eyes fluttered a few times to the sound of the knocking. I dozed off momentarily until-

         "Alexandra!" I heard Lydia's voice in the background but I couldn't answer. "Oh shit. Alex!" she started to yell for Eric. I felt her tugging at me but I couldn't even move.

         "Alex!" she shouted at me as she peered into my eyes. "Eric, she's bleeding a lot." I tried to lift my head up.

        "Fuck!" he exclaimed loudly. He swept me up into his arms, and carried me out of my room. "Alexandra can you hear me?"

My head fell backwards unable to move my mouth to answer him. The only thing I could manage was a strange noise in the back of my throat.  

Above me, it was a clear early morning sky. Not a single cloud was out. He walked into the school and up the stairs to the infirmary.

         "What happened?" I heard the physician ask from across the room. I didn't recognize his voice. Eric placed me on one of the beds. A groan escaped from my lips.