Training with the Rival

Days turned into weeks and I didn't make any new friends. Uther was the only one that hung out with me. I did occasionally talk to his sister who was a little nice to me but for the most part she ignored me. A lot of the students seemed to forget about me because the newest scandal was that a Slayer was dating a Witcher. I would be the target again as soon as people got over it. I was glad to not be people's targets but at the same time felt bad for the couple. Eric was still cold but he didn't pick on me during training in front of the others. Damien must have offered him something good so that he backed off. I was definitely glad about that too.

          Training was easy. We were learning a lot of what I already knew in terms of fighting a vampire. I was able to easily surpass my classmates but they didn't bother me about it. The only one that made a point to always make a comment was Evan's sister, Selena. She was really obnoxious.          

           "I'm surprised you aren't built like a man. Are you on steroids?" She commented as I punched Eric's hand pads. "Professor, she should be tested." I punched his hand a little too hard because he winced.

          "Shut up, Selena. Just because you can't pick up heavier weights doesn't mean you have to be a bitch about it. Work harder." I rolled my eyes and turned back to Eric who was taking off his gloves.

          "We are done." he massaged his hand. "Selena come up here. You can have a one on one with Matheson." He waved us forward. Selena scowled at him lifting up her perfect manicure.

       "I just got my mani done. I am not breaking a nail."

        "Are you scared Selena?" I teased wrapping my hair on top of my head. "I might break all your nails." Selena scoffed at me but jumped up on the mat.

         "Don't push me, bitch." She rolled her eyes. She was wearing a cute bright Nike outfit with pearls. On the other hand, I was a sweaty mess with a sports bra and capris on.

         "Shake hands." Eric ordered but we both turned to him with raised eyebrows. "Do it." he repeated in a hard tone. We merely touched hands.

We circled each other not bothering to blink. I was not going to let her kick my ass. She punched first but I ducked. I kicked her hard on her abs and she slid backwards.

         "Bitch!" She snarled at me. For a moment, I could swear I saw her eyes change color. Again, we circled each other until I threw the first punch. It landed neatly against her side. She punched the side of my head making me back away from her.

"Bring it on!" She waved me forward as she stepped towards me. I landed a punch right on her nose. She spat blood at me. I kicked her so hard that she slid backwards a few feet. She was way tougher than she looked. She could easily give and take punches. I was the same way though.

Eric had to intervene because we weren't getting anywhere. We would just end up bleeding after we pummeled each other. She was bleeding freely from her mouth while all I had gotten were probably some bruises.

It took something really sharp to break my skin.

Selena wiped her mouth as she eyed me. Her friends took her arms and pushed her away. I didn't lift my eyes from hers.

"Are you okay?" Uther approached me while Eric was looking her over. He touched my jaw to make sure it wasn't broken.

         "I'm fine." I answered not lifting my eyes from her blue eyes. "She's tough." I answered.

        "Yeah she is. The pack of Lancers are tough." Uther stretched out my arms to make sure nothing was broken or dislocated. "So are you, though. Damn you aren't bleeding at all. You don't have a single bruise." My eyes glanced down to her fists. They were bleeding and torn. Selena lifted up her hands to her eyes.

      "Yeah I don't bruise or bleed easily." I told him but he looked like he couldn't believe it. "I'll be alright." I shrugged him off. He handed me a towel.

      "That's enough for today." Eric called to everybody. People had stopped training to watch the short fight. "Class is finished." He dismissed us. I went to the girl shower room while everybody else finished cleaning up. 

     "Good job," I felt a pat on my shoulder. The gesture surprised me so much that I was startled.

I turned to find one of the girls from my morning classes smiling at me.

    "That was pretty cool."

    "Um thanks," I laughed nervously.

    "I'm Vanessa." She held out her hand to me. I took it with a smile. She had long dark hair wrapped on top of her head.  "Anyway, that was pretty cool that you kicked her ass. We all enjoyed it."

     "Yeah we did." Someone laughed behind me.

      "It was more like a tie." I told them with a brief smile. "But I am better,"

      "Yup!" The girl laughed at me. She turned back to her friends who were still talking about the fight. I grabbed my things from my locker room and headed for a stall so that I could shower and get out before the Trackers came in. I didn't want to deal with the Lancers. 

Uther was waiting for me when I got out of the locker room. Everybody was gone but the instructors. They were still cleaning up from the class.

      "Good job, Matheson." Eric told me. I merely stared back at him not interested in his compliment.

Uther nudged me so that I could say something.

      "Yeah, thanks." I cleared my throat awkwardly. "You don't have to compliment me if you don't mean it." Eric's face hardened but didn't say anything. Uther started to laugh but stopped only when Eric glared at him.

     "You two need to learn to get along." Uther told the both of us. I just rolled my eyes at him. Eric turned on his heel and walked away.

      "What did my godfather offer him to be nice to me?" I asked Uther who started to chuckle.

      "Nothing your godfather threatened to be nicer to you or he would never become a first Slayer." My eyebrows shot up in surprise that my godfather did that. I had expected him to give him a good pay but not to be in the top chain.

      "No wonder he gave me that compliment." I turned back to Eric who was now talking to his girlfriend.

      "He's just being an ass that's all. He'll come around when he figures out you are a cool person." Uther placed an arm around my shoulders. I turned to him but said nothing else. We walked silently to the dining hall.