Hunt Preparation

After dinner, I went to my room so that I could get started on some homework that I already had. It was incredible that there was so much reading and so many papers to write. Michael visited me twice a week to make sure that I understood the material. So far it wasn't too bad. Uther joined me with some snacks so he could grade some papers. Luckily for him he didn't have any classes. He only had to finish this year training me and he would join my godfather.

        "You said you did a year in the field." I recalled the conversation we had. He had mentioned it in passing. I was getting bored with an essay about the three largest vampire covens.

        "Yeah I did." Uther put his papers down. He had been mumbling to himself for the last hour. "I need a break from all of this. " he reached for the bowl of fruit.

       "What was it like?" I asked, perking up in my chair. Uther popped some blueberries into his mouth.

       "Cold," He answered thoughtfully. "Boring for the most part." He laid back on the couch and placed the bowl of fruit on his chest. "We are Slayers but we are newbies you know so we are given mundane tasks of setting up for the night while the older Slayers were in on the action. We stayed behind at the hideout while they hunted them down. We also did the clean up." I wrinkled my nose. Vampire blood was disgusting and grotesque.

       "How'd you meet my godfather?" I wondered out loud, picking at my own bowl of fruit. From the looks of it, I would not be able to get some donuts here. My godfather always had sweets at his house. "He doesn't like working with other Slayers very much."

      "My dad knows him. I guess they were good friends back in the day and he told him that he was sending you here." I frowned at that bit of news. It had been something that Damien had been planning for awhile if he had mentioned it to others. "He suggested that I could teach you something." Uther shrugged with a smile. "Man, I was ecstatic when I met him. Your godfather is so cool and amazing." His face turned red as he gushed on about my godfather.

     "Yeah, he's cool." I shrugged not caring. I had spent all of my life with him. Other Slayers were always star-struck when they met him for the first time. Damien was used to it.

     "Your godfather is really chill and down to earth. I had expected a hard-core Slayer when I met him."

    "Yeah, he's like that."

    "What was it like –I mean what is it like knowing you are a Matheson Slayer?" Uther's face turned red as he cringed. I knew what he was asking. He was asking about my family legacy. Unfortunately, it was now a dead family legacy.

"My godfather told me everything. He didn't hide anything from me but I think he did protect me. I didn't realize how much people didn't like me until I got here." I took a deep breath trying to smile. "His friends always spoke good things about my family. There was the occasional person that would recognize me when I was younger, which was why I think he moved us to the suburbs. They would make some comment but it hit me harder here." I admitted to him. "I knew it all but the reality of it all sucks."

         "Dude you are the best Slayer in the world or at least you will be. They will come around. My dad told me what happened. It was something that nobody could see coming. Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do if my sister was turned. I don't know if I would have the heart to kill her. She is my best friend and my sister. People can't blame the Mathesons for what happened. That isn't fair." Uther sat up, taking the bowl in between his hands. "You had nothing to do with it. You were a kid."

       "Yeah well those families were affected by it."

        "So was I." Uther replied with a sad smile. "I lost an Uncle because of what happened. Maybe it depended because my father never got along with the Lancers. They have done everything they could to ruin House Matheson. Those mongrels ruined your family's reputation."