A Little Help

On Monday morning, everybody was talking about the Brewster brothers. I guess they had come to campus to visit but I had gone to sleep. That was what I had told everybody. In reality, I had gone through all bookcases in my room trying to find the same exact book that had been in Michael's room. None of them had matched the spine. There were books about House Burns and House Milyang.

I had even flipped through the books in case the book cover had been changed. I had given up close to sunrise. The book had to be one of a kind.

I was walking to my morning classes. Uther had left earlier than usual to meet up with Bennett.

Out in the perimeter something caught my eye. I stopped quickly causing two Slayers to walk into me.

         "Sorry." They apologized but turned to follow my gaze. I could make out two figures that were walking rather slowly. They weren't vampires because they would have attacked as soon as they had seen us.

I recognized the smaller wary frail figure.

        "Get a Professor!" I called over my shoulder. "We have visitors." I shouted at everybody who as just staring. We had all just stopped to watch them. A few turned back to me but didn't react fast enough so I ran to meet them. Things weren't okay because she was limping. As I got closer, I noticed that Rachel and Mrs. Burns had something between them. It looked like they had made a make-shift carrier with a blanket and were carrying someone between them.

        "What happened?" I ran to them catching the smell of fresh blood. I breathed through my mouth as I ran to Mrs. Burns who was bleeding from the side of her face. "Where is your son?" I asked catching Rachel before she fell. They looked exhausted, I could imagine they had been walking for hours or possibly through the night. In the blanket was Brianna, she was bleeding from her neck.

          "Vampires attacked us." Rachel's eyes swelled up. "My dad he-"

         "You are here now. Come on." I picked up Brianna without taking a breath. She didn't respond as I wrapped her up in the blanket. I turned to see Eric, Uther and Lydia with a handful of students running towards us.

         "We need the Headmaster!" I yelled at them as I ran past them. "House Burns needs help!"

         "What?" someone yelped.

          "She said 'House Burns,'" someone else called. I turned back to see Eric approaching Mrs. Burns, the remaining matriarch of the family. Rachel was swept up by Eric who started to jog towards me. 

I ran as fast as I could to the infirmary afraid that the little girl in my arms was dead. There was no heartbeat but then again I was freaking out so the only thing I could hear was my own heart pounding in my ears. I burst into the infirmary with the little girl shouting for a nurse or physician.

Dr. Berke who had first seen me took Brianna from me.

        "She....she....has lost a lot of blood...there's a lot of blood. There...there isn't a heart-beat." I stammered trying to compose myself as they took the little girl from me. "Her family should be coming behind me." I turned back around expecting to see Mrs. Burns but instead almost bumped into Eric.

         "Where is Mrs. Burns?" I asked him but he didn't respond because he placed Rachel on a bed. Instead of sitting down, I was about to leave but Mrs. Burns appeared being helped by Uther and Lydia.

          "Are you okay?" I was nervous full of guilt. All of this was my fault. I should have listened to instructions instead of taking the girls to their home. Damien had been right, I didn't follow rules. I could have led the vampires to them.