Training

Training was outside in the field with different kinds of equipment and set ups for working out and training. The Slayers and Hunters were in the same class and we were mixed together. The Lancers and a handful of other Slayers were with me. My instructor was none other than Eric. At least Uther was co-instructing with him.

            "What are we doing first?" I rubbed my hands together in anticipation. Eric glanced at me with a raised eyebrow.

            "Run," He commented. My eyebrows sprang up, Uther and Morgan glanced at each other. I stood dumbstruck staring at him.

            "Go run." He tilted his head at the door. "All of you."

             "Run? I did not come here to just run." Eric scribbled some notes onto his clipboard. He threw his pen at me.

            "What are you doing?" I yelled at him. He took Uther's pen and threw it at me.

            "That's why you need to run. Until you can anticipate my moves you are going to run." Eric stopped and turned back to the door. "Go."

            "Asshole," I muttered as I ran past him. I tied my hair tightly and took off my sweatshirt. Throwing it at him. Eric caught it one hand and tossed it aside.

           "Five miles." He replied in a stern voice.

           "Whatever." I took off running.

After a mile and a half, he was right. I had never learned to properly run but my body wasn't out of shape. It just wasn't into cardio-shape.

            "That was abysmal." Eric spoke when I returned. "Let me add cardio to your list of things that we need to improve on."

             "What else is on that list?" I tried to look over his clipboard. He pressed it to his chest and lifted his eyebrows.

              "What are you doing? Get to work." He tilted his head at Uther and Morgan who were waiting for me.

              "You are just a joy to work with."

              "Attitude adjustment." He muttered to himself, taking some notes. Morgan and Uther chuckled, waving us over. The Trackers and Slayers were enjoying watching him pick on me. Everything I did was wrong.

             "Widen your stance." Eric smacked my back and I winced. I had to remind myself that he was an instructor and if I punched him in the face I could get expelled. "Wrong!" He shouted in my ear. He was standing too close to me.

            "This is how I was taught." I gritted my teeth in frustration.

            "Who taught you?" he barked in my ear.

            "Damien, the current Senior Slayer. Want to take it up with him?" I shouted back at him. Eric pursued his lips. "You correct his stance and tell him it is wrong." I relaxed my stance and turned on him.

"What do you need to discuss with me?" I turned to Damien's voice. I forgot I was in training and was supposed to show respect to the Senior Slayer but I threw myself at my godfather.

           "I'm glad you are okay." I hugged him tightly. He returned the same tight hug. "You are okay, right?" I released him and looked him over. My eyes settled on his neck. There was nothing there.

           "I'm perfectly fine." he smiled at me but it did not meet his eyes. I noticed he wasn't holding his arm normally. I lifted the side of his jacket-