Slayer Arrogance

It was five in the morning. The sun would be up in an hour. Chills crawled down my spine, I had a sensation that I was being watched. My arm rose in anticipation- someone was right behind me.

                 "You are Alexandra Matheson." I whipped around with my knife in the air. My hand was caught neatly midair. A tall guy with a beard on his face and thick black hair was standing over me. His blue eyes were familiar-

               "Lancer," I growled dropping my hand not lifting my eyes from his.

               "You know me," he grinned cockily at me. "It took me awhile to recognize you. You are shorter than I expected you to be." he had a big wide grin on his face. He was wearing workout clothing. He had come from a run.

              "Shouldn't you be getting ready to hide from the sun?" he glared down at me. There was hatred in his eyes. At least I could see emotion on his face.

              "Shouldn't you be removing your fleas?" I snapped back at him. My nostrils flared, I could smell his body odor. "Who are you?" I knew he was a Lancer from his blue eyes. House Lancer was the largest and most popular family. They had taken over after my family had fallen from grace. Their distinctive sea blue eyes were their familial trait while ours were amber eyes.

               "Evan Lancer- Third Son in House Lancer. My entire House is here, Matheson. We are going to make your life miserable for what your family did to my mother." he glared down at me.

                "Bring it on, fleahunter." I lifted my lips in dislike at him trying to lift my eyes from his. "Don't try me because you'll regret it. The Trackers were never as good as a Slayer."

                "The vampires are gone." Evan told me. I walked past him but he took my arm. "You shouldn't be here." his voice was low and hard. I turned to him with a smile. His lips lifted in dislike.

                "If they were truly gone, one wouldn't have came here for me." I shoved him away from me not lifting my eyes from his. "Don't try to walk over me Lancer. You'll regret it."

Evan smirked at me and backed away slowly.

              "See you Monday, Slayer."

              "Be ready, Tracker." We backed away from each other not lifting our eyes from one another. I sighed with relief once he was gone. I turned around to find Eric. He had probably seen the encounter.

                "You've got some balls," Eric replied with a tone of amusement. I wasn't sure if he was complimenting me or making fun of me. "Most are scared of Evan."

                "I'm not most. He's a bully. I won't show him that he intimidates me." Eric's eyes fell on my knife. "Hunting?" he arched on eyebrow. He held out his hand and I held it out to him. It was a very old knife, given to me by my godfather. He nodded appreciatively as he looked it over.

               "There are more out there." I mumbled barely moving my lips. "What are you doing up?'

                 "Going on a run." He answered. "You should do the same. We've got to stay in shape." He was right but I didn't care. I had two more days. Behind him, I could see others walking out in running clothing. He handed me back my knife which I took not meeting his eyes.

               "Monday. I'm going to sleep." I told him sidestepping him so I could go inside. 

I didn't wake up until mid-day. I was really tired from the night before. There was a soft knock on my door, and I barely lifted my head from the pillow.