Chapter 22

I was interrupted by a deafening scream.

I sprinted up the stairs, soda right behind me. I ran into autumns room and turned on the light. She wasn't in there. Soda and I turned around, to look in the other rooms, when I heard whimpering. I grabbed his wrist.

"Soda. Wait." I told him. I got closer to the bed, and the crying became louder. I kneeled down. Autumn was laying under the bed, with her knees pulled to her chest. Her eyes were frantic as she rocked back and forth. I looked back at soda, not knowing what to do. He kneeled down beside me, looking at her.

"Autumn? Can you come out?" He asked in a gentle voice. She kept rocking and crying. Soda reached under and gently slid her out. We stood up and Autumn wrapped herself around sodas leg, holding with all her strength. He looked at me and mouthed, 'what should we do?'. I sighed, not knowing. Soda walked into the living room, Autumn attached to his leg. I followed them. Soda lifted her onto the couch, which took a lot of effort, seeing how tight she was holding on. We both sat on either side of her.

"Autumn. What's going on?" I asked her, being very gentle. She looked at me. For a minute, she was back in reality, but she looked back to the wall, focusing on the grey paint. I sighed. The front door slammed open.

"Hey peeps." Two-Bit greeted cheerily. Soda gave him a look.

"Not a good time, two-bit." He told him. Two-Bit furrowed his eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" He asked. Soda sighed and got up, pulling him outside. I looked back at Autumn.

"Autumn, please. Just talk to me. Look, I don't know what happened, but I know that you're going through a hard time right now, and I am here for you. Please. Just say something." I pleaded. She turned her head over to me. She stared into my eyes, but it didn't feel like she was there.

"They got me." She whispered, monotonously.

"Who? Autumn who got you?" I asked her. She remained staring into my eyes. After a couple seconds, she positioned her head back to look at the wall again. Soda came back in, without two-bit.

"We should get her to bed. C'mon angel." Soda stated, soothingly. He picked her up and carried her upstairs. I sat there, thinking. What does she mean? Who got her? Did she imagine it? Was it Socs? Or the girls from school? Why is she ignoring us? Thousands of questions ran through my mind.

I must've fallen asleep, because I woke up on the couch at 10 am. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I decided to go check on Autumn.

"Autumn? You awake?" I asked, quietly, opening her door. She was laying on her back, staring at the ceiling. She almost looked dead, but I could see her chest rising up and down with each breath. This is how she remained for the next four days. We would go in and try to feed her, and she would wait until we left, then she ate. For four days, she laid in that bed, looking at the ceiling.

I was sitting in autumns desk chair, looking at her. A tear fell down my cheek. I sat on the edge of her bed.

"Autumn. If you can hear me, just know that I can't take It anymore. I need you. I need you in my life. Please. I don't know what happened, but it seems horrible. I need you Autumn. You are the reason I look forward to waking up, so I can see that amazing smile of yours. I know that you're going through a difficult time, and like I said before, I'm here for you. I will help you get through this. But you need to speak to me. Please Autumn." I cried, holding her hand. She didn't move. I sighed, looking around. A picture on her night stand caught my eye. I picked it up, studying it. It was of Autumn and Finn. She was on his back, and they were both laughing. I set it down and jumped up, running to my room.

"Soda! I know what to do! We need to call Finn." I told him. He looked at me. Finn was taking a few courses in this city, so he would still be with us for a while.

"God why didn't I think of that?! You're a genius pone." He replied. I would've smiled, but I was too focused on the current situation. Soda picked up the phone. He dialed a number, then put it on speaker. It rang a few times.

"Hello?" Finns voice greeted.

"Finn? It's Sodapop. Listen, there's something going on with Autumn. Pony found her on his way home. She was in a puddle, sobbing. She kept shouting for help. She's extremely depressed. She won't talk to anyone, she won't move from her bed. The other day, she said to pony, 'they got me.' That's the only thing she's said. We need your help." Soda explained to him. There was silence on the other line.