Chapter 9

I was woken up by a big thud down the hall. I looked around to see I was in my room. I got up and followed the noise to pony and sodas room. I burst out laughing. Soda had fallen out of his bed! He groaned and sat up, glaring at me.

"That. Was. Not. Funny." He stated. I couldn't stop laughing. Eventually, he started laughing with me. He stood up and messed up my hair, walking past me into the bathroom. I laid down in Pony's bed, and he instinctively wrapped his arms around me. I smiled and cuddled up into him, ignoring the bruises and cuts on my body. I kissed his nose and he smiled and opened his eyes.

"Hi there." He greeted me, smirking. I giggled.

"Hi there." I imitated him. He laughed and kissed me. I smiled and got up, pulling him with me. We broke away and I smiled, leaving his room. I took a quick shower and got dressed. I put on a pink long sleeved shirt with black skinny jeans, and added my leather jacket and boots. I met pony and soda downstairs. Pony put his hands on my waist and kissed me. Soda looked at us funny.

"That must be weird. It's like dating your brother." He exclaimed. I started laughing and so did pony. I slid my hand into Pony's and we left the house.

We pulled up to the hospital and went to the front desk.

"Hi. Is Johnny Cade allowed visitors right now?" I asked politely. The lady searched through some files.

"Only family. I would need proof of relation." She said matter-of-factly.

"Listen. His parents are trash. They're his only family and they aren't gonna visit him. I bet they don't even know about this yet. We are the only real family he has. Please. We have to see him." I pleaded. She sighed, deeply.

"Yeah c'mon. Dallas Winston will be here soon. He's meeting us. If he finds out that you ain't letting us see him, he will make sure you learn your lesson, so you better let us in." Soda stated. The lady gasped at his name. Just then, dally came strutting in, perfect timing.

"Hey. What's goin on?" He asked, walking over to us.

"She won't-" pony started, but was interrupted.

"Alright alright! You can see him. He's in room 451 in the ICU." The woman explained. I smiled and ran to the elevator, the other three following me. I gripped Pony's hand tightly as we headed up. We ran to room 451 and slowly went in. I gasped quietly. Johnny was laying on his back. His chest, shoulders, and neck were completely burnt. He looked horrible. I walked over to him.

"Hey Johnnycakes." I said, gently. He stirred a little.

"H-hey." He croaked. I blinked back tears. Dally came next to me and put his hand on Johnny's arm.

"It ain't gonna be long enough. Sixteen years ain't gonna be long enough. I don't wanna die. I wouldn't mind it so much if there wasn't so much I haven't seen or done. It ain't gonna be long enough." Johnny choked.

"C'mon johnny. You're a strong kid. Come on....I'm proud of you." He pleaded. Johnny grinned, or atleast tried to.

"Thanks dal." He choked. Dally nodded.

"Ponyboy." Johnny whispered. Pony walked over to him.

"Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold." Johnny managed to get out. Tears streamed down my cheeks as Johnny's head rolled back to its original position. I buried my head in Dally's chest and he wrapped his arms around me. We were both crying. Pony and soda were hugging each other. The nurses came in and covered johnny in a body bag. Dally was about to stand up and I was sensing a bad vibe. I grabbed his arm.

"Please. Stay with me." I whispered. He sat back down and wrapped his arms around me. I could hear him sniffling. After a couple minutes, all four of us walked out. Pony held me as I cried into his shoulder. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two-bit and Steve walking up.

"Hey y'all." Two-Bit said cheerfully. Then he looked over at me, and his expression hardened.

"What's wrong?" He asked, concerned. I just cried more, I couldn't bring myself to talk. Pony rubbed my back comfortingly. I could tell he didn't wanna cry in front of everyone, he was trying really hard to stay strong. Finally soda spoke up.

"Johnny's dead." He blurted out. Two-bit and Steve's eyes widened. We all stood there mourning, until we decided to each go home. I grabbed Dally's arm and pulled him towards our house, scared that he might get himself in trouble. All four of us walked home.