Chapter 10: Glimpse

"Ameerah, Dr. Sebastian called for you. Could you also take this file to his office? He asked for it." Nancy, our head nurse, informed me.

"Okay, sure." I reply with a polite smile.

I knock at his door and took a deep breath in.

"Come in."

"Sir, you called for me?"

"Yes, I wanted to check the progress with the data collection on our research project. How's it going?"

"Sir, it's going well. I was planning on presenting you with the details after the audit on Friday."

"Okay, that's great. Keep it up."

"Sir, Nancy handed me the file you asked for, here." I said handing it over to him. "Is there anything else you require, sir?"

"No, you may leave."

"Thank you, sir." I exited his office and finally gave out my breath which I didn't even realize I was holding till now.

Even after so long, I don't feel comfortable on facing him.

I return to the ward and see Nancy looking up from a file, "Hey Amy, how'd the meet go? Any progress?" she said, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

Nancy was one of the few people who still hadn't given up on their efforts to help me open up. She was like a teenager trapped in a 55 year old body.

"You know how he is, Nancy! Why do you even bother asking?" I say with a chuckle looking at a file in my hand.

"But he is so swoon-worthy! You know Amy, I saw Dr. America, the new psych consultant, trying to make small talk with him in the elevator yesterday..."

I raise my head to find Dr. Sebastian standing right behind Nancy.

I'm flabbergasted but before I can say anything to warn Nancy she continues blabbing, "Unfortunately for her, he hardly paid any attention. I tell you, at this rate, that man will die a bachelor! I seriously want to see the girl he chooses just to see his high standards! Or maybe, he might not even choose a girl! Aha! Of course, why didn't I think of this before! He's gay, Amy!

Since the damage had already been done, all I managed to say was, "Nancy, Dr. Sebastian is right behind you."

Nancy stood up straighter and her eyes widened. She swiftly turned around, and grew as red as a ripe tomato, fear and guilt evident on her face.

"I came to check on the patients one last time before leaving. Could you please chart the vitals now, Dr. Ameerah?" He said with a serious expression, but I could see him trying to suppress a smile and the glint in his eyes.

"Sure, sir!" I said and hurried away towards the patients and the rest of the staff scattered around, trying to look busy for Dr. Sebastian.

It took about a month or so for me to finally not freak out whenever I was called by Dr. Sebastian.

He was always very encouraging to everyone, and if someone did a mistake he'd never point it out in public.