Chapter 32: Splash

We woke up at 7 (after another round of sleep post Fajr) and after getting myself and Isa dressed, which was definitely not an easy task, we head to the stables. Sebastian was particularly keen on showing us around on horseback.

Sebastian with Isa placed in front of him rode just beside me.

"I've always wanted to ride a horse. It was one of my dreams to live in the countryside and own a stable."

Sebastian looked pleasantly surprised.

"What?" I asked with a quizzical look.

"I never took you to be the adventurous type. You always seemed to tread too warily."

I smiled sadly. "Yes, it's a part of me I lost after that day. But I'm willing to rediscover it."

He nodded and smiled, turning to look ahead.

We rode for a while till we arrived quite far, surrounded by green hills, with no houses in view.
We tied the horses at the base and headed to the top of the hills.

The scene was absolutely breathtaking. I was mesmerised.

We spread a bedsheet and placed the basket containing some snacks. Isa became engrossed in his colouring book while Sebastian and I just took in our surroundings.

"It's so beautiful, isn't it?" I say in awe.

"It really is." He says, looking ahead with a peaceful smile.

"You know, it reminds me of a verse from Qur'an, our Holy book. Mind if I share with you?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"It's in the Chapter 50 called Surah Qaf, Verses 7 and 8;
'And the earth, We have spread it out and cast in it mountains and We have made to grow therein of all beautiful kinds, to give sight and as a reminder to every servant who turns frequently (to Allah).'"

"That's very profound, Amy." He says with a smile.

"What does it remind you of, Sebastian?"

He took a long pause.
"It's one of my favourite parts in the Bible. Whenever I'm confused about life, I recall these lines and it calms me down,
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.

Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind."

"That's wonderful. It reminds me of a verse from Qur'an in the Chapter 24 called Surah An-Noor, Verse 41:
"Do you not see that Allah is He Whom do glorify all those who are in the heavens and the earth, and the (very) birds with expanded wings? He knows the prayer of each one and its glorification, and Allah is Cognizant of what they do."
Isn't it very similar in context?"

"It most certainly is. You know I've been talking to your mother about Islam too, right?"

"I do. She told me you both choose a topic and then discuss it in the light of both religions, right?"

"Yes, it's been quite educational actually. I'd never thought much about Islam prior to that. It has taught me too look at Muslims in a whole new light."

I smile at him and turn my eyes back to the enthralling scene ahead of me.

On our return, we stop at a beautiful lake and sit by the edge of the pier, with our feet in the water.

Isa becomes too excited to get into the water as well and starts jumping in my lap.

"Isa, the water's too cold, baby. You have to stay healthy, don't you? "

"Mama, I want to swim!"

"We'll go home and swim in the pool, okay dear? Come on, you're my very good boy." I say, trying to convince him uselessly.

"Let me try, Amy." Sebastian suggests and brings his arms forward.

Seeing Sebastian open his arms, Isa jumps in his direction, causing me lose my balance.

*Splash*

And the next moment, I'm inside the cold water. Well, at least I know how to swim. I come out to see Sebastian and Isa laughing.

I start laughing as well.
"Isa, you've not been a good boy. Mama is disappointed in you." I pretend to be angry.

"Sorry, mama!" Isa pouts.

"Now you better listen to mama next time, like the good boy you are, okay? Come here, now."

"Uhh- Amy, you're clothes are completely soaked. Isa will be cold too. Let's just head home and get you changed before you catch a cold."

I sigh. "Okay, let's go back. I don't want to leave this place so soon."

"We'll come again tomorrow. Don't worry. And just a second..." He places Isa on the pier and removes his jacket and hands it to me. "Wear this or might catch a cold."

I put it on, practically drowning in it. "God, why do you have to be so tall, it's like I'm wearing a dress."

He looks at me and chuckles. "It suits you."

I huff and try to mount the horse but with the wet clothes and the utterly long jacket, I'm helpless.

"Uhh- Sebastian..."

Before I say anymore, he holds me by my waist and hoists me up in the air like I'm a sack of potatoes and places me on the saddle. I look back at him and he smiles.

I murmur a small 'thanks' bashfully.