black

Dotted with fluffy clouds, the sky was a calm, bright blue. Orange and yellow hues appeared in the east, drawing attention to the afternoon. Green trees swayed in the gentle breeze passing by Hyrule. Small birds sang atop the trees, whistling tunes for everyone to enjoy.

Miriam, a maid that helped raise Zelda when she was younger, tightened a strap around Zelda's waist. She tied it into a perfect bow that rested just above her hips. She marveled at the breathtaking wedding gown Zelda wore. Zelda scowled in the mirror in front of her, however.

"Zelda, I know this isn't what you wish, but you might as well have fun in this lovely dress," Mariam said smiling, trying to lift the princess' spirits.

"There's no point," Zelda mumbled. "I hate this man. I want nothing but to be as far away from him as possible."

Mariam sighed sadly. "I know, dear. I'm so sorry."

As Mariam finished touching up the dress, she backed away, watching as Zelda attempted to admire the dress. What was the point in dressing up so wonderfully, looking beautiful, for nothing in the end? There was absolutely no point. After today, nothing would matter to Zelda, besides her duty.

"The sun is setting, dear," Mariam noted. "It is almost time."

Zelda nodded her head, holding back tears. She turned to the balcony doors, shining a soft light from the setting sun. Zelda ran to the doors, swinging them open. Desperately, she began to cry out to the sun. "Please! Do not go! I need you!" She fell to her knees pitifully. "Come back! Please, do not set!"

Mariam rushed out to the balcony, placing a hand against Zelda's back. "Dear! Oh, dear, do not cry, it is alright..."

                                            ~~~

Zelda steadied herself as her father wrapped his arm within hers. Her palm was placed carefully upon the back of his hand. Her heart pounded within her chest. The doors to the throne room would open momentarily, and the ceremony would begin.

"I am so proud of you," the King said quietly.

Zelda looked up at him in surprise. "For what, father?"

The King shook his head. "I know this isn't what you want. But I need you to be safe and protected by a man that isn't me." Tears welled up in his eyes, forming a small pool. "I'm going to be stepping down from the throne. Our butlers and maids will take care of me, while you rule alongside Philip. I know you will be a powerful Queen, just like your mother was."

"Father..." Zelda looked up at the King. He continued to look on ahead, refusing to look his daughter in the eyes.

"You have been stubborn, yes," the King laughed gently, momentarily, before continuing, "but you've been so strong, Zelda. I do not have any regrets or concerns towards, or for, you. You are so incredibly brave."

Zelda tried her best not to cry. "I'll do my best. I promise."

The King nodded his head. "I know you will."

A chime of music began to play in the throne room. Soon, the doors would open. Soon, Zelda would be wed to Philip. Soon, she would no longer be an independent princess, like she wanted to be.

Soon, she would be giving up her heart for someone she wished nothing more than to run from.

The doors began to creak open. Before Zelda could glance around, to look at all of the people here, she immediately noticed Philip's blazing red hair at the front of the room. He was facing the priest who would secure their marriage. But soon enough, as he heard the footsteps of the King and his daughter, he turned, with the brightest smile on his face.