3 Self Esteem

Jss1(7th Grade)

"The boys are here!" Blessing, my classmate shouted.

"What's the big deal?" Ebube asked and we all laughed at her.

Of course it was a big deal, it's not everyday you see nice looking boys in an all girls school, but well it wasn't a big deal for me because they'd never like a girl like me and well, I have my Josh, I never forgot him.

I usually went with sister Dara to Danny's place every Christmas, being his birthday and all that, everyone went to celebrate with his family. I usually
went on the 24th and left on the 31st of December. There was a time we even did a choreography for his birthday party.

Flashback to last Christmas
It was on the 22nd of December, I had gone earlier this year and the next day was my birthday.

"Pelumi, Yewi, Keisha, come let's dance for Danny's birthday" sister Dara suggested and we all agreed. I was the youngest there and I was mostly used as the errand girl.

"Can this one dance?" Yewi asked referring to me. [shuuush!! Don't tell her, I never liked her 😁]

"We'll teach her" Dara assured and I nodded too, I didn't want to be left out.

"whatever, what are we dancing to?" Pelumi, Danny's girlfriend asked and we all looked at Dara to answer us. I never liked Lumi too though, actually I was jealous of her, she was beautiful and all that, and she had the coolest guy as her boyfriend.

"We'll dance Do Me by Psquare" Dara answered after a while of searching for songs on her phone. We all agreed, chose a rehearsal time and went our separate ways.

Finally, around 3pm, we had lunch, Lumi, was from Danny's step mom's side so she lived in the second apartment that belonged to the second wife of Danny's dad. Yewi came back from her house that wasn't far from Danny's.

We all started rehearsing but when it got to the part for us to whine our waist, I just didn't get it. I mean how they do the twisting thing?

After so many moments of teaching me and me not getting it, Dara turned her back on me and joined the others as they insulted and called me names.

"You're just so dumb! The only thing you know is boy boy boy, yet simple thing you cannot do!" Yewi shouted at me and Dara asked to go on my knees and raise my hands. Yewi has always been too righteous for my liking, I think they call it holier than thou.

We tried the dance again, surprisingly I managed to get it, or better still do something that looked like I was whining my waist, but I still wasn't proud of myself, I wanted to be like Lumi, she was perfect, her clothes were always so nice and all that, unlike mine, my mum only got me baggy jeans, long gowns, big tops and all that.

"I don't want to dance again" I announced and they all looked at me like I had grown two heads.

"because?" Dara asked and Yewi just eyed me.

"I can't dance" I said, covering my face with my hands.

"Thank God you know sef" Yewi said and It pushed my self esteem further lower.

"Yewi leave this girl na" Dara said and laughed before facing me. "of course you can dance, I'll teach you, you'll learn, you're a fast learner, and I trust you" Dara assured me and I smiled. I don't know if I can do this, I don't want to look like a fool in front of Danny, his friends, my church members that were coming, and big mummy's people too(Danny's mum is big mummy). I decided to keep rehearsing and on that day I'll go missing.

+++++

"KayKay, your mum wants to speak with you!" Dara's mum woke me, causing Dara to wake up too.

"Hello" I said into the phone sleepily.