Chapter 57.1-Lies

Evelyn's POV

I couldn't believe I was inside the same car that followed me,led to my numerous sleepless night nearly a month ago.A suffocating pressure had built up in my chest being seated in it and I couldn't seem to let go of it during the whole ride.
The look of mixture of alarm and some sort of trepidation had been painted on Nathan's face after I told him the deeds this car did or the driver did.
He,of course was well known that Paisley used this car to stalk me and was apologising profusely for having me to sit in it but he had no other automobile than this. Paisley had left this damned rented car to Nathan before going back to England and he used this all the time. The car smelled of some stale,rot bread along with the old machine-y smell of grease and gasoline. Given the fact that Nathan had repaired it few days ago,it still didn't seem to work properly.The engine roared ridiculously loud and halted every few minutes.

"The traffic here...Madtings!I tell you Lyn."Nathan's mouth twisted as he frowned at the line of cars in front of us. I nodded flitting my eyes away from him and glanced at a cute dog poking his fluffy head out from a Prius' car window and playfully wagging his tail.The sight was indeed heavenly for someone who was sitting inside this dreadful,awfully hot,garbage of a car. Never in a sane state of mind one would've had thought to be inside the car that stalked you once.
Few distance far, numerous police officer were seen hovering over the cars lined up in the traffic.
"Bloody!"Nathan mumbled.
"You got a permit, right?" I turned to him and asked realising those cops might be checking for license and Nathan being the non-resident as I am, wouldn't get one unless he had a driving permit.

"Er-not exactly me but Paise had one."He said a moment later after glancing at those cops that were nearing us.

"Codswallop! how will that help Nate? The police is few cars away from us. What if—"

"This rented car has got the driving permit.I t-th-think th-that'll hel-p." Nathan slightly squirmed under his seat. I rolled my eyes and eyed the police nearing our car. Of all the times I've drove a car here in the States without the permit,I was lucky enough not to encounter a police because I used shortcuts and infamous lanes however driving on the main road without a permit was downright foolish and moronic thing to do.

I could see Nathan getting more and more impatient as the police neared. He was suggesting couple of odd things to do like running away leaving the car,or driving through the tiny lane near what seemed like a salon,or pretending to having a seizure attack. It all sounded like flogging a dead horse. I,on the other hand tried staying still and calm. If the rented car did have a permit,we could explain the situation with the relevant documents stating our non-residency and tourist visa that I had thankfully brought along for the paperwork we were bound to do later that day. Yet, Nathan seemed to be offbeat tensed to the point that he was sweating immensely under the trucker cap and hideous black face mask.

"Nate, you all right?"His hands were trembling against the steering wheel.
"Let's run, Lyn. We've to avoid them at any cost," he stammered hurriedly.

"It'll be fine as long as this car has the permit. We might face couple of hours of interrogation but we'll be fine.You said it has got permit,didn't you? "I assured him,clutching his sweaty,quivering palms.

"Bollocks!you don't understand."He screamed,his face looked pale,surly even as he breathed heavily. I gazed at him looking nonplussed at his outrage again.The shift occurred again. Then,something clicked like a realisation of his sudden outburst;he lowered his gaze then spoke feebly as a mouse."The thing is we-we might be late for the paperwork. We got to get out of here."He stuttered as he grabbed my palm and squeezed it.

"Okay!Why don't you go first with the papers and I'll arrive soon after I deal with the cops and traffic?" I said in complete wary eyeing the apprehensive look on his face.