Chapter 49.2-The GrimReaper

Evelyn's POV

The glass floor was lightening with the reflection from the shimmery dust of the stars,planet revolving above us. The bluish hue of the light had been cast on the side of Adam's face while he gazed at those glittery space magic.

"I was only nine years old...when we left my father's house."He mumbled as leaned he on the glass frame behind us.
"I couldn't understand what happened. My tiny young brain couldn't figure out the situation as to why mom left the house we always lived with a huge smile everyday.I cried, I cried a lot. I wanted to go back to my house where I played with Callum and Sebastian all day,where I slept in the warm lap of my grandmother,where my father and I gazed at the space with a telescope. I would beg my mom every single day to take me back. Yet,she would always deny saying my father was good as dead to us.
Few months earlier before Mom left the house,I had felt that my mom and my father had changed. They no longer kissed;they kept arguing,quarreling with each other.I couldn't understand it then but now I do. My father had an affair. That's how my loving family got separated."He paused for a moment. An exasperated sigh came out of him as he slowly continued.

"My father was a hero to me. He was someone I longed to be as an adult.I was immensely proud to the fact that Raymond Hughes Warrington was my father...But it changed."He emitted a sharp breath.
Slowly I reached for Adam's hand, holding it with mine. He tightened his hold as he continued relaying his memories,"Even if my mom had completely prohibited me to meet my father,Callum would sneakily take me out on weekends to meet him. The smile on his face used to be so bright that I still remember it vividly...mine wasn't any different. Weekends were like Christmas to me;I would enthusiastically wait for a whole week to see my father's brilliant smile. We would go to recreational parks, planetariums,trek over mountains and hills to enjoy the stars.Sometimes, he took me back to the house to visit grandmother. The days were colorful until..." He stopped and so did his smile.His eyes stared into a distance in the dark.He seemed lost.

Inhaling a deep breath,he said,"I was in my old house that day...Granma was teaching me to bake cookies. I had wanted to make some for my mom and my father...
Out of nowhere, A toddler came to the kitchen wobbling dangerously. My grandmother instantly went to him and picked him up.'Little munchkin,you shouldn't be walking carelessly.' She lovingly kissed it. I felt a twinge seeing her kissing that minuscule thing.After a while,my father made his way into the room.'You're here,my son.' He took that thing and cradled it in his arms fondly.I still remember how difficult it was for me to see my father holding that thing.At that very moment,I had experienced a distasteful ache in my heart for the first time-Jealousy...
and it got the best of me,my chest had insanely ached. Not being able to sustain the anger growing inside of me,I had knocked off the pots and utensils that was on the kitchen table.
'What's the matter my son?' My father had asked seeing my face swelling up in anger.
I kept glaring at him and the toddler in his arms.
'Meet your brother,Adam.' He had gently brought the toddler near my arms. Without thinking any further, I pushed the kid on the ground. He crashed on the floor and let out a shrill cry,blood was oozing out of his nose in an impossible speed.
My father looked at me with a searing gaze.It was the first time he looked at me in such a way.
"That thing isn't my brother." I had screamed onto his face and ran off crying.From that day onwards,I stopped visiting him. The love and respect I had for him had turned into grudge and bitterness. He would call me,send me letters through Callum but I ignored it all.He would show up to pick me up at school however I would avoid him completely. I had even threw some awful words at him saying that he was no longer my father and was dead to me. I was drenched in fury.

I had turned eleven when my mom had remarried and we moved in with my new father and his daughter. Childish as I was,I started hurting Agnes when I saw my mom adoring her. Sometimes,I would push her,throw mud at her. I had even dripped hot oil on her legs once. Regardless of what I did, she would always cheerfully come to me claiming that she loved me no matter what just like my father did. He had never stopped sending me letters and emails. It was really agitating to the point that I wanted it to stop...it did...
It did stop eventually just as I had wanted. I had thought that he must have been enjoying his life with his precious son but that wasn't the case at all.My father had been severely ill all those years.I had contributed in his illness further.Being shunned by his ex wife,whom he dearly loved and his son,my father had gone into chronic depression. He was diagnosed with cancer later and the depression made it worse. He had wanted to meet me so badly that even his last wish was to see Adam.I couldn't fulfill his last wish...I had completely shut him out of my life,living with hatred towards him. I regretted every single thing I did to him, regretted every cruel word I said to him. He always had loved me but I was blinded by anger."Adam's voice detached as his gaze shifted down.There was nothing I could say to him, the only thing could grant him was my presence.The sight literally punched me in my face. It ached to so much to see him this low.