Chapter 14: Bunch of Wimps

"Well, for starters dad isn't dead." Ray stated.
          Valery's heart dropped and her throat went dry. "Wha-wha-what?" Valery managed to choke out. "The news, Val." Henry thought and Valery heard. Valery harshly grabbed the remote and turned the tv on.
          "Breaking news! On Swellviews most crowded highway, police discovered many vans crashed and burned to ashes. All the deceased victims were wearing the same outfit, and there wasn't very much evidence since everything was burned to ash. But the two things that are crucial to the investigation are the surveillance footage of the crime and a note."
They showed the surveillance video of Valery, facing her dad. Her face was blurry and you couldn't recognize her because she was wearing all black. It showed her collapsing and trying to get away from her dad. She was grasping onto her head, crouched down and violently shaking. Then Captain Man and Kid Danger pulled up. Then they hurried over to her and they confronted her dad. You could see the anger steaming off of her dad and Ray. Something switched in Valery, she was no longer a scared girl being victimized, she was strong. You could clearly see Valery using her powers to blast everyone away from her, except for Henry and Ray. Then they drove off and everything else was out of frame.
"Now, the suspect is said to be a young woman that knows our town's superheroes. Investigation is going on to see if the men that were killed were going to cause harm to Swellview. The note that was left read, "It's not over." It was weirdly untouched laying on top of the van after the flames went out. So, someone must have escaped or been at the scene before police. Many interviews were done with Captain man and Kid Danger."
Valery's ears rang. "No, no, no!" She screamed. "It can't be." She cried, crouching down. "It was supposed to be over. But, I screwed everything up. I always do it." Valery sobbed. Henry nodded. "Yeah, you do screw things up." He said with a smirk. Charlotte then slapped him in the chest and whispered, "Shut up!" "OW! Hey, it ain't that bad Val. You can fight crime with Ray and I. We can be a trio." Henry suggested. Valery let out a scoff. "Yeah, because my powers are sooo special." Valery said sarcastically. "They really are Val." Ray said. "You literally blasted Ray across the room, you made the vans and your dad blast away, and then you made them all crash." Charlotte encouraged.
"You know what?! Y'all should be focusing on the publicity this has! Captain Man and Kid Danger left with me! The suspected criminal! Now the town isn't going to trust you guys!" Valery shouted. Everyone was gathered at the tv, and Valery had her back to the tv. "It's not that bad. We handled it." Ray calmly said. "How?" Valery asked suspiciously. There was a long and lingering silence. Everyone had their eyes away from Valery. Valery stomped her foot and looked at Henry, and he realized she was trying to read his mind. "No, Val don't! Ray, it's kinda hard to keep the promise when she can read my mind!" Henry pleaded. "We did interviews as Captain Man and Kid Danger. We had to. I made a promise with Ray, we wouldn't tell you. In the interview I-" Henry's thoughts cut off when she was shaken by Ray. "Val, stop! Don't worry about it!" Ray said, hoping that she hadn't read Henry's mind yet. "YOU DID AN INTERVIEW!" Valery screamed. A harsh wind blew around the room. "WHAT DID YOU SAY HUH?!" Valery was fuming at this point. "Val, calm down!" Ray pleaded. "THAT IM YOUR SISTER? THAT IM A REGULAR PERSON TRYING TO LIVE MY REGULAR LIFE? THAT MY DAD JUST ESCAPED JAIL? THAT I TRIED TO KILL HIM?!" Valery didn't realize the room was a mess, until now. The pots of plants fell on the floor and they were splattered everywhere. The books fell of the bookshelves and everyone was gripping onto something sturdy. "STOP!" Henry screamed. Valery couldn't help the overwhelming emotions. Valery took a deep breath. She looked at the ground and realized she was floating above air with her wings opened. She saw spots of blood beneath her too.
          "My-my..." Valery quietly whispered to herself. She thought her wings would be gone forever. That she would never see them again, but she didn't know that she was very wrong. "Your wings sweetie!" Aunt Olivia squealed, running up to her. Valery wasn't that high up in the air, but high enough for her feet not to be touching the ground. "Oh. My. God." Valery stated. Her wings went back into her back. Ray quickly noticed and ran beneath her. She fell quickly and Valery crushed him. "Ow, Val! When did you get so heavy?!" Ray jokingly screamed.
          Valery let out a scoff. She got up and the whole room was spinning. She tried to balance herself out with her feet but she fell forward. She fell onto the floor. She let out a groan of pain and Henry helped her up. "You need to stop overusing your powers, dear." Aunt Olivia said. "Nah, she doesn't. She just is a wimp. Who would've know that attempting to kill your dad would do the trick to get your wings to come back?" Henry said, smirking. Charlotte gave him a harsh glare and stepped on his foot. He grasped onto his foot and started hopping around. "Ow, Char!" He screamed.
          "You know what? I think if I was a superhero with y'all, then I would fit right in. You both are wimps." Valery said, looking at Ray and Henry, smiling ear to ear.