Chapter 6: Muffled Sound

Valery went to her Aunt Olivia's house. Henry was driving and Valery was in the front seat. Charlotte was driving her own car. Valery looked at the passing buildings while Henry focused on the road. "So, what is with you and that Lucas guy?" Henry asked, his hands shifted on the steering wheel while he glanced at Valery for a second. Valery sighed. "You know when I left, I did that thing?" Valery asked. "The thing being the mind reading? If so, yeah." Henry said, lightly laughing. "That's the one." Valery said, laughing. "I can read minds and so can he." Valery explained. "Oh, well that explains a lot." Henry replied.
          "Wait! If you can read minds are you reading mine?" Henry asked. "No, I wouldn't invade your privacy like that." Valery said. "How has Swellview been, with me gone?" Valery asked, confidently. "Oh, it's been awful. Everyone has just been sitting around waiting for you." Henry said, playing along. "As they should." Valery said. Valery's phone started ringing. She saw the contact name Huckleberry appear. "Hey." Valery said, answering the phone. "How are you feeling?" Lucas asked. "Fine." Valery replied. She couldn't help replaying the moment of  Lucas getting mad in the hospital.
          "Lucas, I have to go." Valery thought. "Why?" Lucas asked. "The real reason why I was calling you, was to remind you that the party is coming up soon." Lucas said. "Uhm, I just was in the hospital." Valery pointed out. "And that's exactly why you need to go to the party." Lucas begged. "Goodbye Lucas, I'll talk to you later." Valery replied. Valery hung up. Henry looked at Valery and asked, "What just happened?" "Doesn't matter." Valery replied.
         Valery sighed. "Lucas wants me to go to a party with him." Valery said. "Go with me?" Valery begged,  with big puppy eyes. Henry laughed and shook his head. Valery hit him playfully. "I'm very good company." Valery said. "Yeah, sure you are." Henry said laughing. Valery hit him again. "Okay fine, but you owe me some pizza later." Henry said. They drove home laughing and talking.

          Valery was relaxing on her Aunt Olivia's couch, when someone knocked on the door. She got up and slowly walked over. Then she opened the door. But, Valery couldn't see anybody when the door was wide open. "Boo!" Lucas screamed. Valery jumped backwards and felt immediate pain. She clutched her stomach. Lucas covered his mouth. "I am so sorry Valery!" Lucas exclaimed. "I think I need an ambulance." Valery said, with her voice raspy. She leaned against the couch. She started coughing. Lucas took out his phone in a hurry, but then was interrupted by Valery's laughter. "Gotcha!" Valery said, while laughing. "I'm really sorry Valery." Lucas said. "It's okay, I should really be the apologizing but the look on your face was hilarious." Valery said, laughing. "No, not about the scaring, about the hospital." Lucas replied. "Oh." Valery said, that was all she could manage to put together. "I have to go, Val, but I'll see you at the party." Lucas said, waving goodbye and leaving. Valery walked back got her couch and laid down and went to sleep.

          Ray walked in through the door and saw Valery sleeping. But, her sleeping didn't last long because she opened her eyes. "Feeling better?" Ray asked. "I guess." Valery said. She didn't feel that much pain, unless she fell or used too much of her energy. "Want anything to eat?" Ray asked. Valery laughed. "Like you can cook." Valery said. "Go back to sleep. Your better company when your asleep." Ray said. "Hey!" Valery exclaimed. She laid back down and went back to sleep.

Valery was running in a grass field. She could hear her feet stomping the grass. Her heart was beating. She could hear a sound, but it was extremely muffled. She kept running. Her legs burned. The sound was getting less muffled by the second, she figured out it was a mans voice. She kept running. She finally reached an end to the field, with her chest heavy and breathing was fast. She looked down and saw water, it was a lake. She put her hand on her knee, to catch her breath. Then she could finally make out the voice.
"I'm coming."