Chapter 12- Longing

My punch landed hard on his stomach, causing him to curl in on himself and grunt in pain. I didn't waste the opportunity and brought my sore knee up to his face before doing a turning kick to grab his neck with the hook of my foot. I let the momentum pull him down onto the ground before hopping on top and pinning his arms with my legs. I made to sock him in his face to continue pummeling him but, much to my anger's dismay, the instructor grabbed my elbow to stop me. His orange eyes met mine with a glare of dominance that only annoyed me even more.

"That's enough, private." He said with a deep and firm voice. "Return to your post." I huffed out in annoyance before snatching my elbow out of his hand and getting off of the guy. I growled slightly in annoyance at having to obey someone with the adrenaline coursing through my system and anger festering inside of me today. I walked to the edge of the circle and joined the line of soldiers with my head held high as I ignored some of the pains given to me by my opponent. 

The instructor picked up my opponent before Jailyn stood in the center of the circle to address me. "Well done private Fissure. Thank you for volunteering first as well. However, there are still some areas that you need to improve on, such as spatial awareness." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and kept my face neutral as he spoke to our group. "We will discuss everyone's areas of improvement at the end of our session today. Next two, please step forward." 

The rest of my day had gone by rather tediously, with me trying to avoid Noctifer as much as possible. Sometimes it seemed as if he was following me around the castle when I'd go a path that I thought was less traveled only to go back through it and smell his scent. It was very annoying, to say the least. True to his word though, he did not approach me at all, which made me both upset and relieved. I used the relief to focus in class, which made for a very good studying weapon as well when looking over the files with Zafron. We had a short amount of time during the break period today since I really needed a nap after class, so I had to promise that we would meet before dinner and after my training. 

They reduced training to only a couple of hours a day due to not wanting to give the Kings a chance of watching and learning our moves in case of a battle, though I had no idea what our species would battle over. The gods made their deal centuries ago for our existence to guarantee peace for them. For us to fight it would mean that the peace brokered between the gods would cease to exist especially since they practically see us as their children. When I let my anger think sometimes I feel as if a war would be justified with the lacertilias though, considering my predicament. Just to prove a point to that prick, though I shouldn't be so obsessed.

Other times I understand, but only a small amount. I don't know enough about his family history to determine if his father deserved to be murdered or not, but I can say living under constant judgment and pressure from the people directly under you would not be ideal. It would cause more problems than not if I were to live with him. I would be a queen, which as enticing as it sounds to the dominant genes in my system, wouldn't work considering I would be a queen of a completely different species. A species that I have no clue about. It wouldn't be a pretty situation for me and him support-wise. I catch myself thinking if perhaps it would be better if I just let go of the idea of us altogether, but with the way, my body involuntarily reacts to a whiff of his scent that is unlikely to happen as long as he is to remain in this castle. So the pressure under my skin has been hot and high with anger and need, from a single day of him being here. I was going to be in for a very rough ride for the rest of the time that he was here. I want him gone. 

I hadn't seen any of the other kings yet, unfortunately, though I have seen some of the leaders of the other species either milling about and chatting with others or running around the courtyards. Some brought their mates and what could be their successors like my family did while others communicated with the other leaders of their species. There were four of each, making a total of 28 sapiens with high egos living in the same castle for at least a week. The commencement ball would be held tomorrow to ensure everyone was here and settled, then the meetings would start on the following day.