Chapter 3- Felix and Dink

Silence engulfed the room and the air suddenly became very thick. Confusion, shock, panic. They all flowed through each of us that had just received the news, and it seemed my mother wasn't told this piece of information either since she looked at Pa with just as much horror as the rest of us.

Jamie was the first to speak. "I'm just going to go ahead and ask. What the f*ck?" Everyone turned to glare at him sharply before Mum quickly flicked his black furred ear. "Ouch!"

"Language!" Mum rebuked while pointing her spoon at him. "I don't care how shocking the news is or how stupid the king will act, you do not act as a fool around me, and you!" She pointed the spoon at Pa who quickly sobered up from silently laughing as Ma reprimanded their child. "How dare you keep this information from me. We rule this clan and pack together."

The ears on Pa's head laid back in shame but he brought his hand up to lower the threatening spoon away from his face. "I felt it was better all of this was revealed to the family collectively." He started as he looked at her apologetically. She narrowed her eyes at him but let him continue as he looked around the table again. "We all have a learning experience from this and need to treat it as such." I watched as the features of my mother's face slowly grew angrier.

Before Mum could get any more angrier and start another mate argument, I spoke up. "So what exactly does that mean?" I asked. I wasn't completely dumb in the areas of leadership, however, we had never been trained to attend a Meeting of Kings, since it was only for the King of course. Basically, the Meeting of Kings was where each king of each sapien species in our land came together to replicate the Meeting of our Creation done by our gods so long ago. It is used to discuss trade, land, scientific discoveries, information on the other continent and the species that cover it, and a variety of other things that I haven't had the luxury to learn about since they are confidential to individuals that aren't reigning leaders. The leaders of the clans, including the leaders of the other "clans" of the other species, join the Kings to help since knowing what goes on with each different clan all the time is a lot to do for one person. Nonetheless, we had never been taught about one.

"Well," Pa started. "I don't exactly know what is going on between the kings, but I assume that he is trying to flaunt his power by showcasing the process of the Alpha training to the other kings since our King is hosting the meeting this year."

We all looked around the table warily. Something else has to be going on. The Kings were all supposed to be ridiculously powerful and yet our own king was trying to put us right in harms way. "So," Jamie started as he forked at his food. "We are just going to be like dolls for him?"

Pa nodded. "In a sense, yes. That's what the other clan leaders are assuming. We were somewhat surprised by this information, but considering our King is actually quite childish we weren't completely surprised he'd pull a stunt like this." Pa scooped up some of the food into his mouth and silence settled over the table as we processed the information. My first Alpha training and I have to be around these dangerous people.

"Will the Beta's be going?" Jasmine suddenly asked and we all looked at Pa apprehensively. If I was going to Alpha training early, the King had better have some common sense and let the Betas join us at the same time. Of course my wishes weren't met.

"Unfortunately, no." Mum answered this time. I guess Pa had talked to her about that much, considering my best friend was the Beta's daughter. "They will join you all at their regularly scheduled time." There was still a hint of anger rolling off of her as she spoke.

Anger coursed through me and settled around the room in waves as everyone thought over the situation. Our King is obviously a lunatic, and now I have to suffer through a month or so of alpha training without my best friends. I just became a part of the pack and now we have to be in the vicinity of overpowered idiots who decide to rule their species how they see fit, which was obviously without any care for anyone else.