Chapter 14- Wants and Needs

"I'll talk to mother," Zafron said as he turned to walk out the door, only to be stopped by me grabbing his arm just as fast. "She does not get to control who I decide to be friends with."

"That was the part that you took to heart?" I started as I raised my eyebrow and pulled him back towards the railing. I placed my elbows back on top of each other. "Besides, I didn't know we were friends already, your mother is the least bit of my worries." He scoffed and nudged me slightly in disbelief as he relaxed again. We were taking a break today on the balcony that we fought over instead of looking through the files again, though it's not like we were getting anywhere in the files anyways. Everyone affected is so spread out and randomly assorted that it's been hard to find similarities. Even in my case, it's difficult because my mother was from a rouge pack before her file was made as being a mate to an alpha. Who knows what happened out there, I doubt that it will be a good story to reminisce.

Though I might have to in order to get answers...

Zafron let out a sigh before hanging his arms over the railing. "Well, what is your next move from this point?" We looked out at the mountain range as many thoughts ran through our heads. Were we going to save the world if we were to figure out what this DNA problem meant? What would we even be saving? Are we just looking too much into things that don't need to be looked into? Why are we even bothering? "I do not mean in regards to the files, by the way." 

My eyebrows shot up in shock and I jerked my head toward him. "I thought we were off this subject already." He only gave me a side eye in reply before returning his eyes to the range. I sighed and leaned my arms over the railing like he was as I thought about my answer. "I have no clue honestly."

He started again. "What did you hope to get out of confronting him earlier today? Especially considering you could have used that time to get back to your classes." I scoffed. "Well maybe not your classes, apparently."

"I don't know," I sighed as I thought back to the situation. "Maybe I had a sliver of hope that it would work out if we just tried. Maybe I thought I could change him to accept me and let his people accept me. Then again, maybe I am the child he says I am." My head drooped as the thoughts and disappointment raced through my head. Why did our Gods make such a joke out of me? Why did they pair us when they knew this shouldn't happen?

My racing thoughts were interrupted by the feeling of Zafron's hand grabbing mine. My eyes snapped to his with confusion written all over my face. "You are a child Velanthropine." He stared at me with seriousness on his face as my mouth opened wide in shock. The moment was interrupted when a fly took the chance to buzz into my mouth and onto my throat to make me start choking, causing Zafron to burst out laughing. I narrowed my eyes and snapped my hand away from him while trying to spit out the annoying insect. Once I did, it landed on his shirt, causing him to freeze and stare at the disgusting thing that was as big as the tip of my finger buzzing around in my spit. It quickly dried off its wings so it was my turn to laugh as I watched Zafron watch it fly away then look at me with a frown.

I finished my laugh as he rolled his eyes and then wiped the tear off of his eye from his laugh. "I'm serious though." He said causing me to frown again. "You are not 18 and he just turned it. You both are just trying to fulfill the wants of others because you seek approval. It's natural to want those things and there's no time limit to growing out of it. The two of you do not have to get together immediately after meeting each other just because you are matched by the gods. You don't even have to get together eventually-"

"You're suggesting forsaking the gods' will, Zafron." I interrupted, multiple ideas swirling in my head of what wrath they would put on me for something like that. "That's not a good idea.-"