Chapter 5 ~ The Flash

Chapter 5.

Our lips are almost touching when a sharp pain courses through my left leg.

I jerk backward in the water, gasping, my breath knocked right out of me.

"Are you ok? Did I do something?" Liam frantically asks me.

"Aggh!" I exclaim, struggling for adequate breath. "My leg!"

My leg feels like it's burning, like a white hot flame is licking it, which is weird cause I'm in the ocean. Maybe I was stung by a jellyfish? I desperately survey the water and see nothing but clear white sand.

Liam is giving me a worried look, unsure of what to do.

"Aaaaagggghhh!!!" I scream. Liam tries to pick me up but my spasming leg kicks me out of his grasp.

"Hannah! Is it your cut?" He shouts.

I hear his panicked voice through all the pain and look down at my scar.

Just then my scar radiates a bright light and I shriek. The beam is bright and tortures my eyes momentarily, I'm about to clench them shut, when the beam completely disappears.

After the light disperses I feel myself rapidly loose consciousness, but thankfully the pain in my leg fades away with me.

Liam rushes over to me and plucks me out of the water. I can vaguely hear him yell something at the others but the world is fading out and soon all I can see is black.

~

~

~

"Hannah? Hannah?! Please wake up!"

"I think she's coming to, Leylanie, calm down."

"Are you sure Niall? Hannah?! Please open your eyes!"

"I hope this resuscitation is actually working!"

"I bet she will be a bit weirded out when she comes to and finds Liam giving her mouth to mouth."

"Is that all you can think about Harry?! She might be dead! Hannah? Can you hear me?"

"Shh, Chayanne she will be fine, look her eyes are flickering."

The dark is starting to fade, and I feel pressure on my lips...

Where am I?

My eyes shoot open.

"Look she's awake! Hannah, hi! How are you feeling? Liam you can stop now."

The pressure on my lips vanishes but my mouth remains open in shock.

"What just happened?" I ask with a rasp in my voice.

"You've been unconscious for ten minutes! We heard the yells and Liam brought you back to the beach, says you got stung by a jellyfish." Leylanie explains.

I glance at Liam and smile, thank goodness he didn't tell the others about my leg. I don't know why but I feel like they would think I was crazy if I told them that my scar had lit up and nearly killed me.

"We're just so glad your alive, here would you like some water?" Chayanne asks.

I take the water and feel the cool liquid run down my throat, taking away the heat that had engulfed me earlier.

"Ahh, thanks guys." I whisper.

They prop me up next to the dying bonfire to get warm and when I feel a bit better we decide to pack up and head home.

"Wow, nasty jellyfish." Leylanie says to me, as she drapes a towel around my shoulders.

I nod, "Yeah, not the nicest way to end my birthday."

"Well, I'm just glad you're still here! And I'm relieved you're feeling better too." She replies.

Liam and the other guys help to put out the bonfire, whilst the rest of the girls put away all of our leftovers. I just try to catch my breath and uselessly sit around whilst this happens, feeling slightly guilty for not giving anyone a hand.

But in no time everyone has finished and it's time for everyone to leave.

"Thanks for the great party!" Chayanne says to me as she whisks her entourage of friends off to the car.

"Text me in the morning!" Leylanie tells me before hopping into Niall's car.

And then it's just Liam and me.

"I'm taking you home, Han. You're to weak to walk, I just don't want to risk it." Liam insists, picking me up before I can object. He manages to grab the surfboards as well, just like earlier.

He walks silently along the moonlit path back to my house, the only sounds coming from his feet striking the sandy path and our breathing, the waves crashing in the background like a soothing lullaby.

I'm not surprised when the lights are out at my house, it could mean one of two things; My parents are asleep, or they haven't even come home yet. This is a common occurrence for my parents, they always get unexpected calls to go out on research trips.

Liam sets me down outside my door and waits while I check my phone, propping our surfboards against the side of the house.

1 new message

Received @ 10.30pm

Hey sweetie your father and I have been called out on a special expedition, we are heading to Antarctica in search of Narwhals, won't be back 'till next week. Hope you had a great birthday!

Lots of love

Mum and Dad.

I sigh, I guess I knew something like this was coming. Not that I really mine, I'm used to this now.

I quickly reply and then tell Liam the news.

"You can come in if you want, my parents are in Antarctica for the week in search of Narwhals." I explain.

He chuckles, "Another expedition? Woah..."

I nod, "It's all good, I can look after myself. But you look really tired, it would be cruel to make you drive home at this hour."

"Yeah...I guess I'm a bit tired and not really up to driving so if I'm allowed, that would be great." He replies sheepishly.

Liam crashes at my house all the time so it's not really a bother.

I grab the key from the pocket of my coverup and let us both inside.

We're both too tired to talk so I let him make a drink while I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I enter the lounge again I find the jug boiling and Liam dozing on the sofa, he's one of those people who can fall asleep instantly. I wish I could have this ability too.

I quietly creep into the kitchen and turn off the jug, and then I face a dilemma. The sofa just looks so inviting...

Well I'm eighteen now, I can make my own choices, and this is one of them. After everything that's happened today, I'm not to keen on sleeping alone either, so I pad over to the sofa and lay down next to Liam. In his semi conscious state he moves a little which gives me a bit more room, and I close my eyes.

After the eventful day, sleep begins to wash over me faster than usual, and being unconscious earlier certainly took some strength from me. But I'm home now, and I'm safe.

I can rest easy tonight.