My Life

February 6, 1984
-Brian's POV-
I got up extremely early to start rehearsing my speech. They had asked me to do one when they first got engaged and, being their best friend, I agreed.

Roger and all three of the kids, one in Roger's arms, sat as I read it and changed it then read it again and continued the cycle. It ended up sounding so heartfelt that it almost seemed like I was marrying one of them!

"Why don't you talk about how they first fell in love? What about their first date? What about this, what about that?" Is all I could hear.

They were good ideas but I didn't want to write something cheesy about how they first met. I wanted to write something meaningful. I wanted to sing for them.

That's it. I chose one of Freddie's songs, Love Of My Life, which wasn't my sort of song to sing since my voice doesn't do the notes Fred can but it meant something.

I immediately started learning it and getting it in my head. He wrote it for one of his girlfriends at one point before he was gay. It meant everything to him which made me nervous for learning it.

I sang it to Roger and the kids once I'd remembered it all, "You will remember
When this is blown over
Everything's all by the way
When I grow older
I will be there at your side to remind you
How I still love you (I still love you)
I still love you
Oh, hurry back, hurry back
Don't take it away from me
Because you don't know what it means to me
Love of my life
Love of my life."

I didn't do the whole song since it would take a long time and other people wouldn't be able to do their speeches. Roger was shedding some tears and the kids were in awe of me.

It felt...right.