T H I R T Y N I N E

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y N I N E

After making the biscuits Huai took the newly made delicacies to the prince's chamber. Escorted with her maids the princess walked with lighthearted steps and a heart that was drumming as butterflies flapping against her ribcage. Each step filled her chest with excitement and anticipation that was hard to hide from surfacing in her facial expression.

As she reached the prince chamber Huai ordered the maids to give her the trays of sweets, as she personally wanted to deliver it in person. Only a single guard stood outside the empty corridor, stationed right in front of the chamber that he guarded so well.

"Princess Huai" The guard bowed with a cupped fist, upon Huai's appearance. The brusque voice sounded friendly despite the rough tone and hard gesture. A smile formed on Huai's lips as she looked at the guard that didn't dare lift his head but kept bowing till she gave the order for him to raise it.

Huai's maid turned to the side keeping the giggling to themselves as they watched Huai teasing the guard with her silence.

"You may rise," Huai said after providing her maid a good laugh. Clearing his throat the guard then turned at Huai with a stoned expression of both perplex and nervousness.

Contrasting the lively attitude Huai showed when being around Hayoon, she was much more reversed and calm at this time. If she was a wild bunny before, Huai right now was no different than an innocent deer. It's no lie that people act differently toward specific people. It was no conscious act though, people just tend to behave differently when they are associated with different people.

"Princess shouldn't be around at this hour, especially in this quarter there ain't guards patrolling."

"I just dropped by to give the prince some of these....But I suppose his highness doesn't take in guest at this hour?" Huai asked, yet was more than aware that her question was no different from fact.

"As princess already know," The guard said, giving Huai a look of apology.

"Well can't you then deliver it in my place?" Huai said with an uplifting smile.

"I'm not sure if it is to his liking, but I guess his highness isn't the picky eater?" The sweet fragrance of the biscuit was still radiating with warm air, melting the senses of everyone inhaling it. Huai put extra attention to make it sweet, as she knew the prince at the afternoon would take the bitter herbal medicine the Empress always made for him.

Huai wasn't spying on the prince, but through paying a little interest she learned about his like and dislike bit by bit. Since she was friendly by nature it wasn't hard to get such pieces of information, though retrieving them wasn't a piece of cake, Huai was one to get whatever she put her mind into. If just she was this diligent in study her father wouldn't be that pitiful.

"I'll thank princess on behalf of his highness," The guard took the tray from Huai and regarded her a head bow.

"Don't even mention it," Huai said, a smile crossed her lips. "His Highness even saved my brother in battle, what could a few biscuits account for... is he feeling better? I have not heard any news from his highness since we arrived?"

"His highness has been occupied by state's affair. Besides making time for the Empress visits, he rarely goes out. He highness prefers keeping his stay on low-profile..." The guard replied, discretely delivering an explanation for the long absence and inattentive activity of his superior towards Huai.

Though not getting the detailed explanation, Huai could tell the prince's stay wasn't a permenant one, the mere thought made her mood a little heavier, yet she forced a reluctant smile as to keep on the little piece of pride she had left.

Sure wasn't it for her brother's promised alliance, the prince wouldn't leave the battlefield to escort her to Great Yong.

"I see," Huai said calmly.

"Do tell his highness to spare me a little of his time," Huai said.

"I'll rely the message princess," The guard said followed with another awkward bow.

"Oh and this," Turning at her maid Huai took a little bag and gave it to the guard.

"I've made plenty of biscuits so you can also have some too," The guard was hesitant yet Huai shoved it in his hands. Though it wasn't treasures gold but only biscuits, Huai learned that bribery could result in great accomplishments.

"Gwan, right?" Huai asked as she forcefully made the guard take her bag of sweets.

"Yes, princess," The guard replied.

"Not anyone gets to taste my biscuits, don't let down my efforts Gwan," Huai beamed with childish giggles.

When Huai left, Gwan entered the lightened chamber with the tray of biscuits. The room inside was silent, only his footsteps were the sound in the calm night. Gwan walked towards the table in the middle of the room. On top of it was an empty ceramic bowl which contained a little leftover black liquid of herbal medicine. Gwan placed the tray of sweet beside the empty bowl as he looked with brows of concern in the direction of the wall.

A muted grunt which sound was blocked by the thick wall penetrated the night and caused the guard to quickening his steps in a run to the source of the noise.