37 - MADDIE

Maddie woke early and immediately she smiled

Maddie woke early and immediately she smiled. It was her wedding day. She and Jack would be a family. Jack's wish to marry quickly came true. The Inn had an opening on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend. It was a rush, but their guest list was small. Jack invited Adam and his friend, Gary. Maddie was glad Ryan came from Virginia. Jack and his brother were not close, but she had always liked the younger Harris brother.

Her guest list was longer. They limited their friends from The Point, but the Brenners and the Goodwins were invited as well as their parents' friends. She invited Laura and Tim, Lynn and Billy, Evie and Tom, and her library friends.

The day, Jack and Tom met again was hard, but once they acknowledged the past, they became friends. Tom had a special fondness for Emma having cared for her when she was so vulnerable.

Their wedding was also right before Maddie's parents were leaving for Florida. They planned to live in Maddie's house until their house was ready. It had more space than the condo. The newlyweds didn't want to share a room in the condo with Emma and Maddie's room was away from the kids.

Jack teased her. "You can make all the noise you want when I pleasure you."

Maddie couldn't wait to share a bed with Jack. They had never spent a night together but had two nights planned in a hotel in Portland for a mini honeymoon. She would be Jack's wife.

Her next thought was she felt a bit off. She had started to feel bad in the morning but was practicing mind over matter which had been working. The last thing she wanted was to get sick on her wedding day. Her only confidants about the baby were Jack, Evie, and Megan who had loads of experience. She hadn't even told her best friend and matron of honor, Laura.

Her mother was happy about the wedding but in private nagged Maddie about Jack not wanting a baby. Finally, in frustration, Maddie said, "Jack's in therapy to get over his anxiety. I think you'll get what you want." Sooner than you realize, Maddie said under her breath. They had agreed not to tell anyone until after the wedding and Rory would be first. Maddie was sure not even Peter knew. He would have freaked out more when she tripped running and almost fell. Luckily it was a day Jack was in Boston, because he probably wouldn't let her run anymore.

Maddie looked at her dress hanging on the hook. She couldn't wait for Jack to see her. It was beautifully simple but perfect. She had bought it off the rack. It wasn't a gown since they had planned a less formal wedding. The men were wearing suits. She also shopped with the girls. Rory was her bridesmaid, and Emma was to be her flower girl. Everything had fallen into place perfectly.

She walked into the kitchen to find her parents at the table. Her father looked at her. "You look a little green around the gills."

A fish reference, she smiled. Her mother said, "Leave her alone. Wedding jitters, she'll be fine once she's eaten."

"I'm not sure I can eat. Maybe just a piece of toast."

"And coffee, it'll be a busy day," her mother added.