7 - Running to a happy place

By the first of February, Maddie had lost over ten pounds and was feeling great

By the first of February, Maddie had lost over ten pounds and was feeling great. She could run all the way to the beach with Peter and she started trying on clothes once deemed too small. A few fit, but others were still a pipedream. Maddie had a pair of favorite shorts she had tucked away for three summers. She visualized herself wearing them as she walked down the beach feeling healthy and confident. She imagined sitting on the deck of The Beach House bar with friends, laughing and feeling wonderful. That was her real goal, she told herself.

People noticed her weight loss and not just friends, but patrons at the library. Even though it showed mostly in her face, each comment gave her a renewed energy to continue on. She bought some free weights and started toning. She had spent hours perusing the internet and weights were one of many suggestions she sorted through.

One of her biggest challenges was the weather. It was impossible to walk every day with ice- and snow-covered roads. The town plows always cleared their streets last. She splurged and bought a treadmill. It wasn't really a splurge since she had the money. After all, she lived in her parent's house. Her room was originally a sun porch but had been winterized years ago. Using that room allowed for the upstairs to be closed off during the winter which saved on oil. They kept it just warm enough so the pipes wouldn't freeze. Her room was big, and her new purchase fit in easily.

Maddie went out after work on Friday with some library staff. She was the youngest, but the others were a lot of fun. One glass of wine wouldn't hurt, except she was afraid it would lead to her craving food. She wanted to avoid eating until she was home and could have a healthy dinner.

Jane, the reference librarian turned to her "How's your man friend?"

Casually Maddie said, "I sent him packing a month ago." When pushed, she shared some annoying details of their relationship. "The man never shut up. I ignored most of what he said."

"That's not good. Sounds like me and my husband, but it took us twenty-four years to get to that point," Maureen who worked at the circulation desk said. "Honey, you don't want to start a relationship that way. Besides, there's plenty of fish in the sea."

Maddie wanted to argue with her, but she would sound pathetic. There may be plenty of fish, but she suspected most were bottom dwellers. She turned the conversation over to Bev whose daughter was getting married and acting like a bride zilla. Once home, she was glad she went and proud of herself for sticking to her plan. She thought of the shorts and how it would feel to walk down the beach holding a hand. A girl could dream sometimes.

On weekends she went on her run-walk without Peter, so he surprised her when he came up behind her. He gently encouraged her to push herself.

"Maddie by the first of March you'll be running around the loop. I'm sure of it."

Maddie felt good to have someone who believed in her. Too bad Peter didn't have an older brother, because he would interest her.

As she slowed down, she called out, "Will I see Abbie later?" She didn't hear his answer. She only worked a few hours on Saturdays and typically only during the school year when the library held story time.