31 - Everyone loves her

Maddie felt anxious the whole time Jack was gone

Maddie felt anxious the whole time Jack was gone. Even though he was sure it wasn't about her, she worried. Rory sensed her nerves.

"Don't worry, Mimi will like you. What did Dad have with him?"

"An envelope."

"Was it from the insurance company?" The girl was too smart.

"Ask your dad."

"I hope it is and Mimi and Pop take it and move to Maine."

"Move?"

"That's what dad told them they should do."

"Oh!" What if they don't accept her, if they live here they could talk Jack out of loving her.

They had walked up for ice cream because some old habits never go away and Maddie needed to stress eat. Emma was in bed and they were discussing Rory's book when Jack came home. He looked tired and worried.

"Hi, girls. Rory come here."

Maddie watched as Rory went into his outstretched arms, and Jack hugged her.

"Dad, what was that for?"

"That was a precursor to my asking you a favor. Do you mind if Maddie and I got out? I'll pay you."

"Ten dollars an hour. That's what Megan pays me."

"Fine. We won't be too late."

Maddie followed Jack. "Is this where you tell me they don't want me near you or their grandchildren."

Jack laughed. "No, those two women have us married already!"

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Then why do you look so worried?"

"Because I am. We need privacy. We can go for a drive or to the fish market like before or to the beach?"

"The beach."

"I'll get a blanket and a few beers," Jack said.

They walked hand in hand. Once on the beach, they spread the blanket and sat. Jack pulled her in and kissed her. It was as if he were pulling strength from her. It was gentle but full of need.

Finally, she said, "Just tell me, please."

He took a deep breath. "The sperm donor who disappeared over fifteen years ago showed up."

"What?" Never did she imagine anything like that. He was a wreck. Poor Jack, poor Rory.

"I know unfreaking believable!"

"What does he want?"

"To meet her, I guess."

"Could he try to take her?"

"Over my dead body, she's my daughter legally and every other way possible. What we've been through together is stronger than any bond of blood." Jack answered adamantly.