32 - Motherless children

Laura and Tim finally met Jack

Laura and Tim finally met Jack. They invited them to the beach and dinner. Jack manned the grill. Rory complained about starving before they moved, but Jack could cook in the summer.

Maddie felt like they were married until she had to go home each night. She could see the future and was as excited as Jack and Rory were about their new house.

Laura's daughters loved Rory because she was older and they loved Emma since she was so cute. Jack and Tim genuinely liked each other. Maddie was nervous since Tim was Steve's friend. Tim worked in computers too, so she overheard a lot of talk about things she didn't understand. She loved that he was a smart, MIT graduate. Tim said he was happy for her and Jack.

Steve had called Maddie after he heard she was dating Jack. "Why are you bothering with him? He doesn't work, and I bet he wants you to play nanny for his kids."

She didn't argue with him. "Steve, Jack makes me happier than I've ever been, not that it's your business." Then she disconnected the call.

Jack's best friend, Adam came for a visit. He came to check her out. She was afraid he wouldn't like her, but as Jack promised, they hit it off. She could tell instantly he and Jack were like brothers. Adam was pleased she made Jack happy. Most people didn't realize it was mutual. Jack made her happy.

Everyone on The Point knew they were a couple. She was walking to the fish market one day when she ran into Lana who took care of the rental cottages. Maddie felt old, because she used to babysit for her.

"Hey, Maddie. I heard you snagged Jack Harris. Lucky you! I like his daughter. She's a nice girl... She's not like her friend."

"What do you mean?"

"I caught the other couple coming out of one of my empty cottages."

Maddie was at a loss for words. She couldn't tell Jack. She felt like she had catapulted right into the role of mother, especially when she worried about Rory. She needed to have a talk with Rory about her friend, Cassie.

Jack was outside manning the grill when Maddie surprised Rory

"Honey, I heard Cassie and Cole are sneaking into empty cottages."